Monthly chat this Sunday (Monday morning in Asia/Australia/NZ)

Chris Watkins

Aug 6, 2012, 2:03:18 PM8/6/12
to Appropedia community
It's time to start a monthly chat, starting this Sunday. Hope you can make it!

I've just picked a time that looks good - we can always change it next time.

Date: Sunday 12 August (2nd Sunday of the month)

Time: 10pm GMT. That's 3pm PDT/6pm EDT for North Americans, 8am Monday AEST for Australians... or use the Time Zone Converter if you need.

Details are also at Appropedia:IRC #Regular meetings.

We use IRC - it's an old fashioned chat, good for open conversations. See the section on Using IRC - there are some easy ways to get online.

Looking forward to it.
--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

Danyl Strype

Aug 7, 2012, 4:41:17 PM8/7/12
to appropedia...@googlegroups.com
Kia ora Chris

I'll try to make it this Monday.

Looking to the future, if you could get a Murmur server running, and
we could all get Mumble clients, we could have a voice chat? A lot of
groups are starting to do voice conferences using Mumble, an open
source/ free code alternative to Skype. It's been described as "voice
IRC":
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Ma te wa
Strypey
> --

Danyl Strype
Community Developer
Disintermedia.net.nz/strype

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407

Chris Watkins

Aug 8, 2012, 4:05:53 AM8/8/12
to appropedia...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Strypey - I'll look into that.

I like text chat for a few reasons - say, if Kili (Chris Sam) wants to join us from Tanzania, understanding our various accents over a local connection might be a challenge. And having a written record of the chat can be useful.

But I'd like to connect more with fellow Appropedians one-on-one or in small groups, and I've been looking for an open source alternative to Skype!