Appropedia conversations

Chris Watkins

Mar 8, 2011, 3:37:48 AM3/8/11
to Appropedia community
I'd love to make our conversations easier, but also efficient - we've all got demands on our time. So I'm experimenting with this:

appropedia.status.net - feel free to sign up!

This platform is great for noting, tagging and retrieving useful bits of info, in a public way, as well as having Twitter-style conversations. The conversations are much easier to follow though, and you can find old posts even years later, unlike Twitter.

If you want to sign up, great. If not, you could glance at it sometimes to see what's being posted there.

I'm thinking of it as part of Appropedia's workspace - BetterMeans for task management and this new StatusNet site for sharing ideas, connections, snippets of news, thoughts about how to develop things.

That's all - hope to see you there!

...but if you're a fellow social media geek and want to know more, here are bonus facts:

  • You can post and read with your Android phone using Mustard, and with your iPhone using the official StatusNet app.
  • StatusNet is a basically an open source "Twitter" with extra features and more control over our own data. (You may have heard of the main site using this platform: Identi.ca. Great community that's knowledgeable about tech.)
  • You can also follow people and join the relevant groups from your Identi.ca account - click the "remote" buttons for the people or groups you want on /appropedia.status.net. You can also join Identica groups (e.g. MediaWiki, wiki, publicdomain...) from your account on appropedia.status.net. The fancy name for that is "federation".

Cheers
--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia

Chris Watkins

Mar 8, 2011, 7:54:58 AM3/8/11
to Appropedia community
Forgot to mention - you have to confirm your address to be able to post.

There are 3 people signed up so far. Doesn't need a lot of people to be useful, but still, the more the merrier!