Appropedia Edit Jam

Chris Watkins

Dec 9, 2012, 10:25:00 AM12/9/12
to Appropedia community
We're having a "trial run" Appropedia Jam, just under 7 hours from now. 2 pm in CA, 10pm in London & 9am in Melbourne/Sydney.

Sorry for the super late notice - I had a mixup over times, but I've now spent a few hours cleaning up related pages on Appropedia and making sure that it should all run smoothly from now on. I want to try having these jams every month in 2013.

Check the page, try out the IRC chat link, and tell me if anything doesn't make sense. If you have time, say hi in the chat channel and tell us what you're editing or what you'd like to know.

Cheers
--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

Danyl Strype

Dec 9, 2012, 2:39:39 PM12/9/12
to appropedia...@googlegroups.com
Kia ora koutou

Thanks for the invite Chris. Unfortunately, I'm tied up today doing
Jim Dier's 'Power of Neighbourhoods' workshops. Have a good jam.

BTW In answer to your question some months back, I've been working
with the webmaster of permaculture.org.nz (which now uses CC-BY-SA as
it's default license!), and we intend to build up a resource library
on there. What I'd like to be able to do is create pages there, then
(where appropriate) feed the useful info into other wiki like
Appropedia, and Practical Plants (although the NC clause they use is a
block to compatibility, for now ;)

Cut'n'paste is the default importing tool, but I wonder if there is a
way to synchronize two (or more) wiki sites? That way, I could create
a page on Appro, clone it on p.org.nz, and have the two feed changes
to each other and stay in step, regardless of which sites they are
edited on. This would create redundancy, and increase resilience, by
having up-to-date info hosted in multiple locations. It would also be
useful for teachers who are combining content from wiki like Appro
into learning and teaching materials (under CC-BY-SA), on sites like
WikiEducator.org.

Ma te wā
Strypey
> --

Danyl Strype
Community Developer
Disintermedia.net.nz/strype

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407

nikki caputo

Dec 9, 2012, 2:45:08 PM12/9/12
to Appropedia Community-Google Groups
final exams and paper are on my horizon
will be through by next week's end
until then: focus a wee myopic (ironic as i am in an envrio/soc justice kinda program)

sorry, i will pass for this round

best,
nikki

He Waka Eke Noa

We are all in this boat together

~Maori Wisdom

Chris Watkins

Dec 9, 2012, 5:33:45 PM12/9/12
to Appropedia community
Yes, not a good time for students on the northern hemisphere timetable. Here it's time for chasing penguins and wrestling crocodiles.

(Just kidding. Penguins are protected.)

Chris Watkins

Dec 9, 2012, 6:38:10 PM12/9/12
to Appropedia community
On 10 December 2012 06:39, Danyl Strype <str...@disintermedia.net.nz> wrote:
Kia ora koutou

Thanks for the invite Chris. Unfortunately, I'm tied up today doing
Jim Dier's 'Power of Neighbourhoods' workshops. Have a good jam.

Power of Neighbourhoods - excellent theme.

[...]

Nothing we can use now, other than copy-paste. But Ward Cunningham, legendary inventor of the wiki, has come up with a working "federated wiki" which can do what you say. Updates can be imported from other wikis - and IIUC, they can be approved or rejected one-by-one, or as a whole. So you can go "Most of that is good, but that second change is off-topic for us, so we'll skip that." I think you can do that and it'll stay synced. Great stuff, but I'm fairly sure there's no way to do this in MediaWiki yet.

Anyway, I see that permaculture.org.nz is a Drupal blog site, not a wiki, so cut-and-paste might be the "appropriate technology" here ;-).

Ma te wā
Strypey