macpro ram limitation

OnYerPockets

May 13, 2012, 6:25:35 PM5/13/12
to AppleVan
What would happen if one put more than 8 gb ram in a macpro with quad
core i7??? If there are two sdram slots, why couldn't one put 8 gb in
each one, for instance. Mind you, I'm not asking if it's necessary,
only if it's possible without damaging anything.

Thanks.

Rory Bowman

May 13, 2012, 7:14:50 PM5/13/12
to appl...@googlegroups.com
I would defer to professionals with field experience such as the folks at http://ramjet.com

I recently had a case where a machine had more RAM than Apple recommends, which had to be temporarily removed for a firmware upgrade, but that was a fairly minor issue to have nearly 16GB of RAM in their iMac.

RamJet will know more about what each model's real limits are.

- R