Are we keeping both Google groups and Meetup??

Elaine Pawski

Nov 22, 2011, 10:53:08 AM11/22/11
to appl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm confused why I still getting mail from Applevan on google groups? The group started using Meetup, and personally, I like it much better, but it seems there are still discussions on googlegroups. I, however, have trouble with googlegroups. I get the emails, I get into the site, but then it tells me, I'm not a member. I'm posting this, using yet a different link on the Abridged Summary email. I've been using Meetup for several years, without difficulty.

Frustrating..... I'm going to just unsubscribe to the googlegroup- So if anyone has anything to post, please post it on the Meetup site.

Elaine

Glenna Rose

Nov 22, 2011, 11:30:07 AM11/22/11
to appl...@googlegroups.com, eear...@gmail.com

Elaine, it is up to individuals what newsgroups they wish to subscribe
to. There is no reason why there cannot be multiple groups. I belong
to both PMUG and AppleVan as do many other Mac users. If you don't
want email, your solution is to unsubscribe as you indicated you are
going to do.

As for Meetup, that, also, is an individual choice. For me, though I
am subscribed, I likely seldom participate on-line because of time
constraints and multiple groups to which I already subscribe. I may
also unsubscribe as I don't care for all the non-Mac emails I am
getting from other groups. As near as I can see, Meetup is not a
newsgroup in the traditional sense. I personally prefer Google Groups
for questions, etc., because when someone actually responds to
individual emails (rather than a digest!), the thread is completely
self-contained and can be printed as a whole which I find handy in
many instances.

Regarding the Google Newsgroup, you can also elect to not receive mail
and stay subscribed and go to the website to view emails. As with any
"new" thing, one must take a little bit of time to get acquainted.
Personally, I see no reason why there is any need to end the AppleVan
Google Group. There are many of us who are long-time AppleVan members
who use it and benefit from it. It is, as the name indicates, a news
group intended for the exchange of information while Meetup seems to
be more of a medium for people getting together - both have their
place with no reason for it to be either/or unless one wants only one.

One of the many advantages of the Google group is that one does not
need to be a member to view the information, only to comment. This
leaves many people who choose not to subscribe with the ability to go
there and read any time they might want to and has helped to keep the
Mac community that little bit closer.

As for "The group" started using Meetup, it was suggested as an
alternative and most certainly has its place. However, don't discount
our Google group simply because you choose not to use it. It has its
place as in-person meetings have and many long-time AppleVan members
use it and will, hopefully, continue to use it. It has been very
valuable for questions and answers. I personally appreciate the very
knowledgeable members who are willing to share their knowledge with
the rest of us and hope they continue to do so. It is these same
members who have helped to keep the group going these past several
decades.

Glenna

--
---<-@ Glenna Rose @->---

I cannot change the world, but I can make my little corner better.

Ken Frack

Nov 22, 2011, 12:04:04 PM11/22/11
to appl...@googlegroups.com, eear...@gmail.com
Glenna,

Well said. I also prefer google group.

Ken F.

Rory Bowman

Nov 22, 2011, 3:14:35 PM11/22/11
to appl...@googlegroups.com
There hasn't been any decision made that I know of, although certainly you are welcome to unsubscribe from the AppleVan Google group as you so choose. - Rory

Elaine Pawski

Nov 22, 2011, 3:48:10 PM11/22/11
to appl...@googlegroups.com
Google groups and email news groups are not new to me. I have used Google groups in the past. What I don't understand is why AppleVan is the only one that does not let me respond from the message board. I have found a work around for it, but frankly, it is inconvenient, and I really don't have the time the workarounds. Neither of those who were so quick to respond offered any assistance in troubleshooting my Google groups accounts, either.

Some of reasons Glenna stated for preferring it over Meetup, are actually not acurate. AppleVan on Meetup is an open group. You do not need to be a member to find it and to read what is posted. Also, if you do not wish to receive emails about other meetup groups, you can change your account settings to achieve that end.

I fear it is as true today as it was in 1858, when Abraham Lincoln wrote, "A house divided amongst itself cannot stand". I don't understand how there can be a true sharing of ideas from one organization using 2 different sites.

But as for me, I will stick with Meetup. I almost didn't attend last Saturday's meetup, because I had a really busy day, and felt I had a good grasp of who to use the Meetup interface. However, I did stop by, and met some very interesting people, and chatted in a way that is just not possible in an email only format.

Elaine

LeGrandCo...@me.com

Nov 22, 2011, 4:10:38 PM11/22/11
to AppleVan
Since I took up the challenge to keep AppleVAN alive, I'm going to
jump into these comments.

There is always a transition time when changing formats is a bit
sticky and people are likely to dig their heels in and resist. That's
always too bad, but predictable. So many people want things to be
better and move into new, refreshed forms, yet resist and cling to the
old. I've unfortunately experienced that with other Mac groups, and
it's just a downside of human nature.

So the question is, "What do YOU want?"

Do you want to come together to reenergize and build a stronger
community? I believe Meetup offers that. In the last face2face
meeting of AppleVan it seemed the baton was passed and the folks who
have been doing this for a long time were happily off to a break from
all of this.

Apparently not.

Rory is the "owner" of this Google Group. He can do as he likes with
it, but it isn't a user group. It's a tool for a group. MUGS/Apple
User Groups are intended to be mostly face2face activities. Now with
the support of technology, we can mix it up. If Rory wants to
continue with running AppleVan as a Google Group, of course he can do
so. That would create a break in the group, which is what is
insinuated in the comments. Nothing new about that … happens all the
time. If that's what folks want, I'd be happy to rename my Meetup
group and continue with the recognition of Apple and other Apple
Authorized Dealers and service technicians … which is the way to go
for a true MUG. But I will not lead a group that is split, nor do I
want to participate in negativity.

So all the folks who are on this list can make their own choice.

The choice I make is to move forward in a positive, helpful spirit.
What I do not consider helpful is to make a question/expression of a
member problem a 'federal case'. If a member writes into the new
Meetup group expressing a problem, the answer will not be defensive,
derisive, and unwelcoming.

Funny thing … in the last AppleVan session, people were saying how
Google is getting so bad, but yet in this forum one would think that
Google Groups walk on water … HUH???

Here are some facts:

• Google Groups is limited; Meetup is more flexible and offers much
more to the user.
• Meetup is VERY easy to use and can be mostly self-taught.
• Google will offer little … NO … help with end user issues; Meetup
has excellent online help/resources from real people.
• Involved in Meetup for over 5 years -- no spam or unwanted
messages, but I learned how to use the easy settings.
• You can maintain privacy of your personal email addy and just use
the Meetup system to communicate.
• Information -- discussion boards, info files posted or anything on
the site -- is viewable WITHOUT joining Meetup.
• Meetup is NOT like Facebook and other social media outlets -- there
isn't the security risks that other sites present.
• Google Groups is VERY problematic!!!

Are you willing to learn a few new things -- ALL VERY EASY -- and
continue to participate with Meetup and the group, or are you digging
in your heels? Please understand, the decision is yours. Many of
those in this group don't know me and might feel some kind of loyalty
towards the former leadership -- certainly understandable. I just
know that I want a cooperative, friendly, interactive, sharing group,
and I will continue in that spirit with any group I facilitate.

We have started in just than mode with our first Meetup/AppleVAN. It
was a wonderful couple of hours. It can only get better ;-)

Sincerely,
Sunny LeGrand
http://www.meetup.com/AppleVAN/

Glenna Rose

Nov 22, 2011, 5:17:22 PM11/22/11
to appl...@googlegroups.com
Frankly, I really don't see what the fuss is about! If people want to
use Google Groups to communicate, that is fine. If they want to use
Meetup to communicate, that is fine. AppleVan is a group of people,
Mac users who want to share and to learn. If they want to use PMUG to
communicate that is fine.

There doesn't need to be an either/or thing here.

As for Rory being the "owner" of the group, it is only because he was
kind enough to set it up so there could be a way to communicate as
individual emails were getting lost. There are at least four
"managers" of the group who are people who can approve members,
comments, etc., including Sunny, Kell (who kept AppleVan alive for
decades)i and me. So who "owns" the Meetup group?

This entire conversation seems more than absurd and a horrid waste of
time. Use Google Groups if you want; use Meetup if you want.
Personally, I belong to several goat newsgroups - I see no conflict in
belonging to more than one. PMUG even has multiple ways of staying in
touch.

I will continue to use Google Groups for the reasons I mentioned - I
like the threads kept together if I want to print one later. It just
makes sense. Whether I use Meetup or not will depend on what I am
doing. As for information on Meetup, it is inaccurate to say anyone
can find out things as you must be a member to get specific meeting
information which is fine as it would be odd to give out personal
information to people who are not going to attend.

This has nothing to do with individuals or "dig their heels in and
resist." It is a newsgroup for crying out loud - there are millions
of them out there!!! Remain on it or not, it's your choice. But to
start criticizing individuals for their personal feelings is way out
of line and certainly violates the spirit of AppleVan which has
existed to help people in the best way possible. If that way is
monthly meetings and there were people willing to take the
responsibiity of the security of the meeting place, thank you very
much for those willing to do it. If that was is multiple meetings
throughout the month, that is fine also.

With that said, I would hope if I were willing to give a presentation
on iMovie, iWeb, etc., and named a place and time, there would be
people interested in coming regardless of how they heard about it!

Glenna