Appledoc Issue with Configuring the Build Script

ramo

Jul 3, 2014, 5:19:13 PM7/3/14
to appl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I started looking into Appledoc and encountered a few issues:

- First, there are errors when building the project with xcode 5, I used xcode 4.
- Next, I am following this guideline for Configuring the Build Script, but while the appledoc binary exists I cannot generate html documentation files.

Is there any other straightforward way to generate html documentation files?

Thanks

Tom @ Gentle Bytes

Jul 3, 2014, 9:08:03 PM7/3/14
to appledoc on behalf of ramo
Hi there!

See my answers inline.

Best, Tom

On 3. jul. 2014, at 23:19, ramo via appledoc <appledoc+noreply-APn2wQeSMeQgese...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi,

I started looking into Appledoc and encountered a few issues:

- First, there are errors when building the project with xcode 5, I used xcode 4.

Xcode 5.0.x should work, but 5.1+ not due to deprecated garbage collection.

- Next, I am following this guideline for Configuring the Build Script, but while the appledoc binary exists I cannot generate html documentation files.

By default output from each phase is deleted/moved into next one (html into docset, docset into xcode). You should either use --keep-intermediate-files switch (this will copy files instead of move) or --no-create-docset (this will only generate html)

Is there any other straightforward way to generate html documentation files?

Thanks

ramo

Jul 4, 2014, 1:01:24 PM7/4/14
to appl...@googlegroups.com

Thanks a lot Tom for your reply.

Right there was an error about deprecated garbage collection with Xcode 5.1.1, so I used Xcode 4.

I was able to generate the HTML documentations (looks very fansy :) ), however there are around 200 warnings related to un-documented files and one Shell Script invocation error saying "Command /bin/sh failed with exit code 1".

I couldn't find how to ignore the warnings for un-documented files and what the error is about. If you have any idea, that would be great.

Thanks a lot

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:08:03 PM UTC-7, Tom wrote:
Hi there!

See my answers inline.

Best, Tom

Tom @ Gentle Bytes

Jul 4, 2014, 3:51:51 PM7/4/14
to appledoc on behalf of ramo
There are cmd line switches for disabling these warning,  but don't remember them right now (am on vacation and don't have my computer with me).

The shell error is likely docsetutil invocation, but can't tell from just the message - take a look at preceeding lines in console to see if there's some related info there.

Cheers, Tom

--
Sent from my iPad

ramo

Jul 7, 2014, 2:52:18 PM7/7/14
to appl...@googlegroups.com
I spent sometime working on my script so I can ignore the warning for undocumented files:

--no-keep-undocumented-objects \

--no-keep-undocumented-members \

--no-keep-intermediate-files \

--no-warn-undocumented-object \

--no-warn-undocumented-member \

--no-warn-empty-description \

--no-warn-unknown-directive \

--no-repeat-first-par \

and also I found some booleans in the appledoc project (GBApplicationSettingsProvider.m) and initialized them with NO:

self.warnOnUndocumentedObject = NO;

self.warnOnUndocumentedMember = NO;

self.warnOnEmptyDescription = NO;

However I still have over 200 warnings related to un-documented and one error saying:

appledoc version: 2.2 (build 963)

Generation step 5/5 failed: GBDocSetPublishGenerator failed generating output, aborting!

docsetutil failed to package the documentation set!

Unable to generate atom feed, because docset does not define a feed URL for itself.

Failed to generate atom feed for package

Showing first 200 warnings only

Command /bin/sh failed with exit code 2

Thanks,

On Friday, July 4, 2014 12:51:51 PM UTC-7, Tom wrote:
There are cmd line switches for disabling these warning,  but don't remember them right now (am on vacation and don't have my computer with me).

The shell error is likely docsetutil invocation, but can't tell from just the message - take a look at preceeding lines in console to see if there's some related info there.

Cheers, Tom

--
Sent from my iPad

Tom @ Gentle Bytes

Jul 8, 2014, 7:54:15 AM7/8/14
to appledoc on behalf of ramo

--no-warn-.... options translate into self.warnOn.... properties, so no need to alter the code only to get the options - use cmd line switches instead.

The warnings seem to be related to docsetutil not appledoc (judging from log excerpt). Not sure what exact issue is though. You might want to use only a subset of source files and slowly add more of them to pinpoint the troubling part.

Tom

ramo

Jul 10, 2014, 6:27:16 PM7/10/14
to appl...@googlegroups.com