FW: New Tech Doctor Podcast about Hybrid Braille Displays

richard....@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2021, 11:18:43 AM4/19/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

The below is from Robert Carter about his Tech Doctor podcasts.

From Robert Carter:

Hi,

Yesterday I published the latest Tech Doctor podcast called Four Hybrid Braille Displays.

We compare and contrast the features and capabilities of the Mantis, QBraille, Orbit Reader 40, and the Brailliant BI 40x.

You can subscribe to the podcast in any podcast listening app. The website is
Https://www.dr-carter.com

Enjoy.

Robert

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2021, 1:09:24 PM4/19/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Richard:

First, of course, many thanks for sharing  Robert’s email with us here on Apple Braille.  That is quite interesting that he did not name Focus Blue 5th Generation among other Braille displays.  In addition Brilliant BI and maybe Orbit, too, are no longer in production and I wonder why these two were included among the four displays. The first two named displays plus Focus Blue and Varioultra are still in production.

Have a great day, everyone!

Jeff

Richard Turner

Apr 19, 2021, 3:38:39 PM4/19/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Well I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but not only are the Orbit displays still in production, but they released a 40 cell version last month.
The original Brailliant BI is no more, but they released a new version with a similar title.
I know some company, maybe in Canada took over the Vario Ultra, at least for repairs but I do not know if they are actually producing new ones.

"The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd.
"
- Bertrand Russell
Sent from my iPhone

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2021, 3:59:33 PM4/19/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Richard:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my email.  First, I said “maybe Orbit” as I was not sure if they were out of production.  As for Brilliant BI, the last thing I had read was that HumanWare was no longer producing them but could continue to service them.  So what you said is news to me.

As for Varioultra, I shared some information about them to MS. Barbara Davis on this list.  A group of former Baum employees in Germany set up a new company and are now producing these device and  we have a company in Grass Valley, CA to service the VU’s and distribute the new ones The VUs are kind of popular because their Braille display is a bit larger than normal and it is so much easier to read on it.

It is certainly interesting that you have made no mention of Focus Blue?

Thanks,

Thanks again,

Jeff

Paul Mcgann

Apr 19, 2021, 4:58:07 PM4/19/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, jeffrey...@gmail.com

jeff and all,

rich here.

varioultra is done by visibraille right now. and we have repair services for that in irti.net. peter procia is cooperating with visibrialle.

ther eis a company in massachusetts peter mentioned to me that they are stil selling varioultra displays. right now.

sincerely,

rich

Paul Mcgann

Paul Mcgann

lenore...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2021, 5:38:58 PM4/19/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Lenore here.

Rich and all,

Jeff is correct when he said that the company that is suppowed to be doing the servicing of VU’s is located here inCA in the small city of Grass Valley, an hour and twenty minutes’ drive northeast of here, Sacramento.  You indicated irti.net.  I doublechecked because I am familiar with the company because it is a vendor of our state’s VR agency.

Yes, Innovative Rehabilitation Technology, Inc, is indeed here inGrass Valley, CA.  Only one company of that name.  I have just sent an e-mail inquiring if they are doing servicing on VU’s.  I willlet you know what I learn.

The website for this company is:

www.irti.net

Hope this helps clarify any misunderstanding.

EOM

Richard Turner

Apr 19, 2021, 6:21:20 PM4/19/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Good to know that Vario Ultra has survived.
Robert Carter is the one doing the podcast on the "hybrid" displays and why he is not including the focus blue, I do not know for sure. My guess is, because their note taking function in the scratchpad is extremely limited, thus not counting as a hybrid display.

"The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd.
"
- Bertrand Russell
Sent from my iPhone

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2021, 12:05:20 AM4/20/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Hello Lenore and Rich:

Rich, why did you send me the same message three times???

Lenore, many thanks for jumping in to defend me.  I’ve been to Grass Valley, really cool town.  My wife and I had very dear friends who had a summer home and while we were living in Stockton, CA which is 40-45 minute drive from Sacramento, CA.  Our friends’ home was on Yukon River/Creek where one could an a bit for gold like they did years and years ago.   My wife was six month pregnant with our first child and don’t ask me how she and I were able to climb down and up the steep hill to pan for gold and get a refreshing dip in the water.  The area was very private so much that our friends told us that when they are alone, they’d go down in the nude to dip into the river!  I must admit that I was really surprised that the services and distribution of VarioUltra are in that town as it is kinda remote.\\Rich, sadly the guy, Peter, you were talking about has passed away.  Also, you mentioned about Massachusetts which was here David Bradburn, former President of the U.S. center ran the program for VU and did a good job.  Ricch, I know all the stuff as I am on the Varioultra list.  There is a wonderful guy by the name of Pete Devas to (I think that is the correct spelling) who has been helping out by providing technical support.

Last but not the least, I have both 20 and 40 cell units of VU for sale if anyone is interested in getting one.  You can email me off the list.  My address is below my “John Hancock” signature.  The learning curve is a bit high and I don’t really have the time to learn it all even though I truly love how the Braille display feels like.

Kindest Regards

Jeff

Jeffrey Bohrman, Ph.D.

E-Mail:  jeffrey...@gmail.com

Paul Mcgann

Apr 20, 2021, 7:11:56 AM4/20/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, jeffrey...@gmail.com

jeff,

rich here.

goodf  quesiton. i don't know why.

sincerelym,

rich

Paul Mcgann

Apr 20, 2021, 8:27:48 AM4/20/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, Richard Turner
richard and others,

i saw on facebook's group takling about apple events being on apple tv
today at 1110 pdt. curious if yo are able to access. what is so speical
about this. thank you.

sincerely,

rich

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2021, 2:03:16 PM4/20/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Rich:

Puzzled look Jeff is here.

You have an Apple TV at home???? Do you have Braille access to the TV?

ON other hand, why don't you ask Apple to provide you transcript?? I would do that if I were you.

Yours Truly,
Jeff

Paul Mcgann

Apr 20, 2021, 4:22:04 PM4/20/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, jeffrey...@gmail.com
jeff,

rich here. i ask richard turner if he has hseen or heard of this. not sure.

www.apple.com/apple-events/

just curious if richard or someone checking out.

rich

Richard Turner

Apr 20, 2021, 4:44:57 PM4/20/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
I watched it by streaming it through the Safari app from their events page.
It was about several things.
1. the new AirTags. They are small tags you can attach to about anything and use the Find My feature in the iPhone or iPad to find the tag, which will play a sound, and I think with the newer devices with the Lidar chip it may give you directions right to it if you mislay it. They used an example of someone whose keys fell between couch cushions.
$30 each, or a pack of 4 for $100, to me, that is a no thank you, I won't be buying them.

2. The new iMac computer that is very thin, with their newest M1 chip. It is not much thicker than an iPad, and has a 24 inch screen.
Quite colorful and with great sound. Two prices based on color, $1300 or $1500, I think.

3, the new iPad Pro running the M1 chip.
11 inch for $799. and the 12.9 inch for $999.

In other words, nothing mentioned that would be specific to the deaf-blind or blind, other than the vastly improved processors and memory.
HTH,

"The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd.
"
- Bertrand Russell
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2021, at 1:22 PM, Paul Mcgann <rkmc...@comcast.net> wrote:

jeff,

Paul Mcgann

Apr 20, 2021, 8:09:04 PM4/20/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, Richard Turner

richard,

thank you, and i appreicate this.

did it say about upcoming upgrade?? thnak you.

sincerely,

rich