Package character 20 & 40 braille display

Barbara Davis

Apr 14, 2021, 3:34:27 PM4/14/21
to Apple Braille, PBD

Sent from my iPhoneHello everyone,

I am also wondering if anyone of you have experience using Pacmate character 20 & 40 cell braille display?

Please share it with me as I have only 2 weeks to make up my mind which braille display I want Focus 40 or Pacmate 40 braille display.

Does Pacmate have bluetooth? What is the difference betwen Focus and Pacmate?

Thank you for your time

Barbara

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2021, 4:58:29 PM4/14/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, PBD
Hey Barbara:

Packmate 40?? I thought it died. Is this the rand new display and does it have a notetaker capability? I never heard of Packmate being around these days. Recently I purchased a Focus 40 Blue as my personal one - I already have one plus Focus 14 Blue which are both now in the shop for service and repairs. I wanted to get a different display but seems nothing else is good on the market right now. The good news about VarioUltra is there is now service and distribution center in CA and a group of former Baum employees got together and started their own company and have been making VarioUltra since then.

Good luck!!

Regards,
Jeff

Barbara Davis

Apr 14, 2021, 5:07:20 PM4/14/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jeff,

I can’t find the word pacmate character as it shows up Pacmate omnibus that is not the right one. i e mail to Ron to find out. Someone said it s not bluetooth also it is not notetaker.

pacmate omni is for windows only so I am confused as here told me it is pacmate character so I am waiting to find out from Ron first to be clear.

Oh really I didn’t hear that varioultra braille display are still making and selling. That is interesting.

Which company is that? Do you have website for it?

Yes it is hard to find new braille display without notetaker as all of them are notetaker. i not want that. They don’t give us much choice which is very sad news. It is so unfair for us.

Barbra

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 14, 2021, at 4:58 PM, jeffrey...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hey Barbara:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/00f401d73170%24eac53590%24c04fa0b0%24%40gmail.com.

Brian Tew

Apr 14, 2021, 6:22:09 PM4/14/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Isn't pacmate an old, old brand? I don't really know.

Scott Dollar

Apr 14, 2021, 6:30:35 PM4/14/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Sall,

Scott Dollar here.

Yes, Pacmate is a very old braille display. Well, Pacmate does have some issues and problems that I am aware of it since so far.

Sincerelyea

Scott Dollar

ent from my iPhone

> On Apr 14, 2021, at 5:22 PM, Brian Tew <monta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Isn't pacmate an old, old brand? I don't really know.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/CA65C9EF-8A2B-4A6F-958D-C8C00FC827D4%40gmail.com.

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2021, 6:31:20 PM4/14/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barbara again:

Focus 40 Blue has a small notetaker and I've never used it so you need not to worry about that. Don't get QB Braille display from HIMS as I tried that and did not like it and returned it. I miss Braille Edge but HIMS is not making them anymore.

I am really surprised that FS is still selling Packmate and I don't think you would like it at all.

See next email about VU.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/A3158504-8B5D-4B89-88F2-7A48244F0471%40gmail.com.

Barbara Davis

Apr 14, 2021, 6:49:06 PM4/14/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeff,

Well the Focus 14 and 40 5th generation is not called little notetaker as I have asked Ron Miller. He said no it is not small notetaker. Ithe button is called menu button and the list inside is called configuration that is all. We don’t need to used it as it is just to changing the pins firm or less firm or changing the clock or whatever. Not a lot of list there. It is not the same as other braille display with notetaker is a lot of list there.

Ron prefers people not to call it with little notetaker to confused people. To avoid confused and say this button is called menu button and inside have configuration that is all. So people will be aware of it.

I hope this helps to be clear up.

Thank you

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 14, 2021, at 6:31 PM, jeffrey...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi Barbara again:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/013a01d7317d%24e372e5f0%24aa58b1d0%24%40gmail.com.

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2021, 7:06:45 PM4/14/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Focus, Fifth Generation, has basic notetaker and you use only text - not word documents. It is not at all like Apex. AS I said before I have not used the notetaker yet but I'd love to read books there rather than elsewhere. I'm really happy with Focus, Fifth Generation. Even Bapin now uses Focus as his primary Braille display.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/4E3A6A14-924C-428D-896B-5E91A2AE75F8%40gmail.com.

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2021, 7:12:20 PM4/14/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
One more thing, Barbara, APH has "new" Braille display that Rich McGann was looking into it and one other reader here is using it. I do not trust APH because they don't keep Braille display on the market long and then it is difficult to get it serviced. I almost get Refresh Braille, which is a very good product, but they don't make it any more and not sure if you can get it serviced if you got a second handed one.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/4E3A6A14-924C-428D-896B-5E91A2AE75F8%40gmail.com.

Barbara Davis

Apr 14, 2021, 7:28:39 PM4/14/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeff,

I am not here to argue but I did spoken with Ron Miller and he said it is not called little notetaker or basic notetaker. It is not the right name. Please don’t used it because many people thinks it is notetaker but it is not. It is called configuration that is all I have Focux 14 with 5th generation too myself and I can see it very clear by playing with it. It is not notetaker. It is a very different. I want you to be clear to avoid so many people called it then thinks it is notetaker as they told me not want notetaker. I explain and they were surprised. That is not fair to confused them.

It is important to used the right word I hope that helps.

Well I refused to used cheapest braile display that people make and sell. I heard a lot of problems also IOS 14 is not working with it this time. It is not worth to used it. I rather to find it a best braille display that worth it.

Yes I almost got Refreshable 18 braille display that was on back order then cancelled it. i was disappointment and refused to get 2nd hand as i don’t trust as some people can be dishonest. No thank you

I rather to get a brand new one. I think I might stick with Focus blue 40 with 5th generation next 2 weeks.

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 14, 2021, at 7:12 PM, jeffrey...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> One more thing, Barbara, APH has "new" Braille display that Rich McGann was looking into it and one other reader here is using it. I do not trust APH because they don't keep Braille display on the market long and then it is difficult to get it serviced. I almost get Refresh Braille, which is a very good product, but they don't make it any more and not sure if you can get it serviced if you got a second handed one.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/016a01d73183%249d1ae020%24d750a060%24%40gmail.com.

Richard Turner

Apr 15, 2021, 1:42:44 AM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Concerning the difference between a braille display and a braille note taker.
1. A note taker has its own Internet browser, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and a set of programs like email, word processor, often a PDF and Excel reader, Daisy Audio and braille program and more.
They could be compared slightly to a Tablet type device or even a notebook computer.
They also usually can print or emboss, no computer needed.

A braille display is usually a device with either just a braille display that needs a computer screen reader to make it work; or it may have some basic note taking application, calculator, calendar etc, with bluetooth and USB conneitivity but no Wifi internet access, and cannot print or emboss.

the HIMS Braille Edge was a very good braille display with a basic note taking app.
The HIMS Polaris is a full note taker running on Android.
APH and Humanware together are producing the Chameleon 20, and the Mantis 40 braille displays with some extra functions.
Humanware also has Its BrailleNote Touch and Touch Plus, which is their full note taker running Android.

Then their are the Orbit Readers that are braille displays with basic note taking functions etc.
The focus 14 and 40 are braille displays with no real note taking function, at least not as good of note taking as the other devices out there.
The El-Braille is Freedom Scientific's Windows computer with Jaws and the Focus 40 5th generation that is their version of a note taker, but it is really a computer and not really in the same category in my opinion.

"The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd.
"
- Bertrand Russell
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 14, 2021, at 4:28 PM, Barbara Davis <dolphi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Jeff,

Paul Mcgann

Apr 15, 2021, 8:13:26 AM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, jeffrey...@gmail.com
jeff,

it is called scratch pad as ron miller calls it.

i really like focus 40 blue tooth original a lot. it can accept two
iphones. if i turn on iphone se 2020, it accepts, and i turn off iphone
se 2020, then i turn on iphone 6, and it accepts. nice. no need to worry
about going over to change settings. to much headaches.
refreshabrialle18 also works same thing. but sadly no one is taking care
to clean display. oh well.

notetaker with menus give me headaches.

jeff,m blind tech trainer working for icc pushed and pushed me to take
mantis 40 not focus 40 fifth as he doesn't ahve fifth yet. oh well. darn
it. i have mantis and it s okay.i understand that no manual book hyow to
use. manual guide is inside mantis. sigh. i don't like big display. when
time is right, i sell it anywya.lbut mantis is nice to have usb flash
driver and also micro card, too. good battery usage.

sincerely, rich

Barbara Davis

Apr 15, 2021, 10:24:31 AM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hello rich and all,

Didn’t you see Richard post says Focus is not notetaker. I also have old e mail and will ask my intervenor to copy and past that Ron says it is not notetaker. It is called configuration.

The scratch pad is inside the list. I did look at my menu button when I open the configuration list.

There are few list like clock changing, calendar changing, firmness for pins to be more fir or less, scratch pad few others not many. That is all.

That is called configuration and it is not notetaker. That is all.

I will copy and paste it as I found old e mail that I re read Ron is very clear

Thank you Richard for the post and it shows Focus is not notetaker

BARBARA

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 15, 2021, at 8:13 AM, Paul Mcgann <rkmc...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> jeff,
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/91c994ff-8158-3d19-645d-d499f8b95b9e%40comcast.net.

Paul Mcgann

Apr 15, 2021, 11:32:15 AM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, Barbara Davis
to all,

richard turner wrote:

Focus 40 5th generation that is their version of a note taker, but it is
really
a computer and not really in the same category in my opinion

i write:

richard, it is called scratch pad. it has menu button. yes.ron miller
explained to me personally after i asked him question in private after
few other deafblind asked him with me together.

sicnerely,

rich

Paul Mcgann

Apr 15, 2021, 12:46:30 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, Barbara Davis
to all,

rich here.

since icc got me mantis 40. i am not happy, as i prefer focus 40, but
blind teach trainer argued iwth icc and he got me mantis. he doesn't
have focus 40 fifth generation. if he had it, he woudl show me. but he
was stubborn. icc moves on and got me mantis. but i am not giving up.

i did make him read carefully about mmcx 9deafblindvp.me0 as i want it
badly. i told him i woudl accept mantis if he downloads mmcx software.
that is all. because mantis has qwerty keyboard as it is big display. it
is nicer for travel. if blind trainer realizes the meaning of
videophone, then he downloads software, i feel much better and not to
worry about everything. that is all.

one more thing, was shocked to learn as no one tells me. i already
ordered for hdmi cable. if i get it, i can connectlaptop with big tv set
(40 inch)and nicer to have zzoom virtual meetings to make easier for
interpreters to see captions of names and faces than desktop monitor.

sincerely,

rich

lenore...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2021, 3:00:41 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Lenore here.

It is to clarify that there is a small and basic word processing app called theScratchPad. Blind people can use the ScratchPad to take quick notes withphoen umber or basic quick info AND to read BRF books on it. I have used theScratch \Pad toread books, and I LOVE it! All I have to do is put a microSD card containing my BRG books into theSD card slot ontheleft side of the display just in front of the power button. However I never wrote anything in Notes there as I found out that you can only write the info in computer braille in order for the file to read correctly in my computer. I did a test to see if Icould type in contracted Braille. Then I saved the file with my text in both computer Braille and contracted Braille and then took the micro SD card out of the display and put it inmy card reader. I went to my Windows Explorer to find my text file. Sure enough the text that I typed in computer braille read correctly and clearly but the text I typed incontracted (grade 2) didn't sho9w very clearly with errors in it. SoI don't think blind and DeafBlind people who do not know computer Braille would bother using the ScratchPad for notetaking in the display.

I hope I am clear onthis here.

EOM
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/4E3A6A14-924C-428D-896B-5E91A2AE75F8%40gmail.com.

Claus Thøgersen

Apr 15, 2021, 3:09:04 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Contracted files can be exported to jaws or voiceover that then takes the input and uses whatever braille settings is used to convert the input to regular text. Works as the manual suggests but takes time if o you want to transfer a larger file. Also it is best to use usb to send the data to the iphone mac or pc.

Claus

Sendt fra Mail til Windows 10

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2021, 3:31:13 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Lenore, for elaborating on ScratchPad. Many of today's Braille displays have such ssame sort of capacity. It is hard to find a brand new display that is just purely Braillew display with BlueTooth. I say that the term of "very basicnotetaker" is the general term. As Lenore said one can take notes on Focus which is really good for classroom instructions as well as workshops/seminars, etc. And these display are wonderful to download books into the displays to read them by itself without the need for a computer or mobile phone.. I honestly wish I knew how to use the ScratchPad and need to re-read the instructions to use it and download one book to read it. Somme displays can take DOC files but not Focus which is OK since it is easy to convert DOC to TXT to transfer file to Focus.

Thank you. And just remember that I am NOT pointing my finger at anyone on the list.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/01b301d73229%24a0bda4f0%24e238eed0%24%40gmail.com.

Ron Miller

Apr 15, 2021, 3:37:21 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lenore and everyone,
I'll take just a few paragraphs to clarify a bit.

First, the Scratchpad feature:
The Scratchpad is in tended to be a very simple, quick way to take a note, it is kind of the equivalent of reaching for a pencil and piece of paper, or a slate and stylus. Pressing and holding the Menu button and the dots for the letter n, then releasing all buttons and keys will open the scratchpad and place any active connections in the background. Once opened, the Scratchpad immediately is open to a new note file and ready to use, this way, you don’t have to take any time to create a note file, it’s ready to go. This file can be up to about 32k in size, can be saved and reopened and some basic editing can be performed within the open file. You can copy, cut and paste text, paste the time and date into your note file and also perform a basic text find. You can also compose a text (.txt) file, instead of a Scratchpad note (.fnz) file, but if you want to create and work in a text file, you must use computer braille. If you create and edit a standard Scratchpad note file, you can use any kind of braille you wish. Finally, you can also open and read braille (.brf and .brl) files, like those from Bookshare.org and NLS BARD. This means you can open and read braille formatted book and magazine files on the Focus Blue Braille Display, using the Scratchpad.
For more information about Scratchpad, you can go to:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Manuals/Focus/Focus-Blue-Scratchpad.htm

Lenore, you can use contracted braille in your Scratchpad note files. When you start a new note, you will be asked "txt y/n," so that you can decide whether you want this note to be a text file, or a Scratchpad note file. If you choose text file format, you will have to use computer braille input. If you answer no "n" to the question, you can use whatever braille code you wish, however, if you want to export the contents of the Scratchpad file, you will need to compose the text using a braille code that your screen reader will accept as input. For example, if you are using JAWS, you can set JAWS for contracted braille input and use the Scratchpad's Export feature to send the file contents to an open document or other edit field, such as the body of an email message. When you invoke the Export feature, Scratchpad will send the text in the open Scratchpad file to your PC as braille keystrokes. JAWS will back translate the keystrokes to text, entering them into the open edit field.

I hope this all makes sense. It is spelled out in the Scratchpad document for which I have provided a link, in this email.

The second items I should clarify are about the Menu button and the Configuration menu.
The Menu button is located between dots one and four. Pressing the Menu button by itself will invoke the Configuration menu. As Barbara has said, this is a menu which allows you to make changes to your Focus Blue Braille Display. I will not go into detail, I will just say that there are a number of things within the Configuration menu with which you may interact. Also, I will add that the Scratchpad is not really “inside” the configuration menu. Instead, Scratchpad appears as one of the items in the Configuration menu and pressing either Enter (Dot eight) or the Right Shift button will open the Scratchpad, allowing you to start taking notes, etc.

If you have one or more active connections, you can switch between them, on the fly, by pressing and holding the Menu button, and pressing Dots one through five, then releasing both the Menu and the Dot button, to move through any of the Bluetooth connections which may be active, or Dot 8 to move to the USB connection.

The Menu button is also used to lock or unlock the Focus Blue braille keyboard and other controls. Pressing the Menu button and the left Nav Mode button at the same time will lock everything but the Panning buttons and Rocker Bars on the front of the braille display. Pressing the Menu button and the right Nav Mode at the same time will unlock all braille keys and controls.

To read more about the Menu button and the Configuration menu, go to:
https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Manuals/Focus/Focus-Blue-Online-Users-Guide.htm
This link will take you to the Focus 14/40/80 Blue 5th Generation Braille Display User Guide, which contains all of the information about the braille display.

I sincerely hope I have cleared things up regarding the Scratchpad, Menu button and Configuration menu.

Finally, regarding the PAC Mate Portable Braille Display:
We no longer sell this braille display and have not sold it for at least five years. My apologies to Barbara, I did not understand what she meant in her posts in this thread when she wrote about a "Package character braille display," I truly could not figure out what it was.

My best regards to all,

Ron Miller
Vispero™ | Blindness Technology Product Specialist
17757 US Highway 19 N, Suite 560, Clearwater, FL 33764
T 727-803-8000 Ext. 1171 F 727-803-8001
RMi...@vispero.com
www.vispero.com

Apr 15, 2021, 3:39:40 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Claus,

You provided the answer while I was composing my monolithic email.

Thanks for weighing in with the information.

Ron Miller

Vispero | Blindness Technology Product Specialist

17757 US Highway 19 N, Suite 560, Clearwater, FL 33764

T 727-803-8000 Ext. 1171 F 727-803-8001

RMi...@vispero.com

www.vispero.com

Apr 15, 2021, 3:44:50 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

All what you said, Richard is very correct.  Very Basic notetaker does not have Internet access.

If you don’t want a notetaker, just don’t get a Polaris.  I am not sure if there are other notetakers on the market today.  I used to be a fan of Braille Notes but not anymore since mobile phones are out and one can do much, much more with the phones than a regular notetaker.  I have Apex  which is collecting dust but can serve as an excellent Braille display and has has Bluetooth capacity.  I have a friend who does not have a computer and uses his Apex and i-Phone full time and is very happy with that.  And he does not even use the notetaker part at all.

Scratchpad         is same as very basic notetaker without access to Internet.

Jeff

lenore...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2021, 4:21:56 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Lenore here.

Thank you, Ron. That is helpful information. I'll find time to play around with notetaking on the ScratchPad.

Thanks for coming in to settle the disputle about the Focus Blue 5th Generation family. Barbara, Ihope this clarifies the misunderstanding that occurred here.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/applebraille/DM6PR20MB3361E44EA482F2FA4D8C92F5B04D9%40DM6PR20MB3361.namprd20.prod.outlook.com.

Annie Skov Nielsen

Apr 15, 2021, 7:06:58 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
I would not buy a focus display at all. I have one, and I am very disappointed, to many repairs. I have had it for 18 months, and I have had 6 repairs.
I  do not like the schratchpad at all.
I also see some issues, if you have one computer and two ios devices paired. It is noisy too.
If I should aply for a display now, I would go with the humanware bix series.
Best Annie.

Barbara Davis

Apr 15, 2021, 7:31:05 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Annie,

You should let ron Miller know as he told me he is happy to hear people’s concern and problems so he is willing to address this issues to the factory to improve it.I was pleased to hear what Ron miller meantion to me in the past.

Please e mail to RonMillner in private to discuss this matter to him.

Not all braille from FS have issues as I have no issues with my Focus 14 either. Some braille display of any kind like humanware or hims or other can have issues the same idea when you buy TV to bring home. You were disappointment TV is not good then let store know why my TV is not working. They will replacement you a brand new Tv then finally working just fine.

Same idea with my meteor vibration watch that I got wasn’t working by surprised so i got replacement then I had no issues for 3 years. See it just happen and it is called bad lemon.

I heard a man told me he bought the car the same as his friend. He had a lot of problems with his car as he got bad lemon but the auto body couldn’t figure out why he ending up so many problems but his friend doesnt have the problem! It is hard to understand sometimes.

We never know but it is very important you tell Ron so he is aware of it and is willing to resolved this issues with you. I don’t know what he will say but I prefer he tells you. For himself okay.

Thank you

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Turner

Apr 15, 2021, 7:47:37 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Whomever quoted part of my message took what they quoted out of context.
The el-Braille is the Windows computer plus the focus 40 5th generation docked with it so it is used as one unit, though you can take the braille display away and use it on its own with its limited functions.
I will shut up now.

"The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd.
"
- Bertrand Russell
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 15, 2021, at 1:21 PM, lenore...@gmail.com wrote:

Lenore here.

Nene

Apr 15, 2021, 8:20:33 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Hello, just wondering if there’s focus blue 14 5th gin latest update?

Any info on it please?

Thank you.

Nene

lenore...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2021, 8:43:54 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Lenore here.

Nene,

The current firmware version that I just checked is still at 5.81-61.  So that is for now.  You can Google “Focus Blue 5th Generation Firmware Update” and get the first hit in the search re4sults page.  The info is just before the ScratchPad heading on the firmware update page.

Hope this helps.

EOM

Nene

Apr 15, 2021, 9:27:11 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, meaning no update yet.

Nene

Apr 15, 2021, 9:37:44 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Hi, is it possible to pair my focus blue 14 5th gin to my mac with sierra?

I thought to ask here first before doing this in case is not compatible.

Thank you to any info.

Nene

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2021, 10:58:30 PM4/15/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Annie:

What other Braille display would you buy if you were buying one?

I am really curious.  Would a Varioultra display make you happy?    I have never been happy with a HIMS product although I like the display itself but it pairs badly using Bluetooth as they use an older generation of Bluetooth chip and I’ve found my U2 needing far too many repairs.  The first one after only three years blew up and HIMS recommended I get a new one which I was fortunate to have iCC handle this.  The iCC people took it back from me after six months when no one could pair it with my iPhone – and we even sent it back for repairs to no avail.  BraiolleNOte BI is not being sold now and I simply did not like it myself.  I would not touch a Braille display available through American Printing House.

Just my two cents…

Jeff

Paul Mcgann

Apr 16, 2021, 8:45:06 AM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com, Annie Skov Nielsen

annie,

let ron miller know as he is vice president of vispero that produces focus products. it is important to let vispero seeing this.

ron would be happy to know this. and see about it. miguel who is in charge shoudl know because he helps designing the displays.

annie, about noisy, do you mean display could vibrate? just cuirous.

sincerely,

rich

Devin Prater

Apr 16, 2021, 10:13:35 AM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to just plug it in when VoiceOver is running, and it should work. If not, maybe you'd have to update the MacOS version.

Ron Miller

Apr 16, 2021, 12:41:35 PM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Hello Annie,

I would like to communicate with you off list and get a good unit into your hands. I certainly do not want you to have a unit which is not working properly.

Please email me directly so we can discuss this further.

Best regards,

Ron Miller

Vispero | Blindness Technology Product Specialist

17757 US Highway 19 N, Suite 560, Clearwater, FL 33764

T 727-803-8000 Ext. 1171 F 727-803-8001

RMi...@vispero.com

www.vispero.com

Apr 16, 2021, 1:22:41 PM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Annie:

One thing I want to mention about Focus.  I know that the pins sometimes get stuck down or up.  Two things I do to help.  One is to wipe the display with 95$ or better alcohol and rub it dry for a long while.  Second thing I do is with numbers which I often change the mode from Contracted/uncontracted to computer Braille to make sure the numbers are right.  I wait as long as I can before I send Focus back.  I’ve had issues with my Focus 14 for a long while but by doing the two things above, I’ve  waited over a year to send it to FS for repairs and services for the first time in three years.  I also sent the Focus 40 back after two years – I had problems with the port but later on discovered it was fine and I’ve a few pins stuck up or down plus good idea to get new battery. But overall, I am very happy with Focus Blue displays – so happy that I purchased a third one on my own as the other two belongs to state iCC program.  I’ve been a long time FS consumer with Jaws, Navigator, Power Braille, Packmate (the display was fine but I was not crazy about the notetaker part), Classic Focus which is the first generation, and now Focus.

I know you live in Europe so what are your blind friends using?  Since Varioultra is back into production in Germany, your friends may be using it??

Just my ten cents worth the thought!

Jeff

Barbara Davis

Apr 16, 2021, 2:01:54 PM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeff and all,

Also it is very important to wash hands  before using the braille display because we eat and our hands is dirty. Dirty can caused pins pick up dirty quicly. When I am eating then wash my hands then used braille display will last long time.

My Focus 40 Blue 4th generation never had repair for 4 years then repair due to dirty dust from air that is why.That is all.

I am fan of Focus fir 8 years and loved it. I never buy another brand braille for long time except Varioultra are very good but I dislike d notetaker that is why

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone

lenore...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 2:25:04 PM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Lenore here.

Annie,

Please do take an advantage of Ron’s offer to assist you with an exchange of the Focus 40 Blue 5thGeneration.  I, too, had trouble with my own Focus 40 blue 5th Generation which had failed cells after two rounds of repairs on mylprevious unit which I received in May 2020 from my state’s program.  I received this brand new Focus 40 Blue 5th Generation just last Friday after requesting an exchange.  It is now a week, and so good sofar!

So go on to have an exchange!

EOM

Barbara Davis

Apr 16, 2021, 2:44:22 PM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Annie,

I totally agreed with Lonore and I have known Ron Miller for a very long time. He is a great helper. go for it.

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone

jeffrey...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2021, 3:10:52 PM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com

Absolutely great point, Barbara!!  I am not always very good about washing my hands but I always my reading Braille finger is clean which I know is not enough.

Thanks for bringing this up, Barbara!

Jeff

Barbara Davis

Apr 16, 2021, 3:13:51 PM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeff,

You are very welcome and it is important we try our best to keep clean hands to keep braille display stay working with pins longer

Barbar

Sent from my iPhone

Jan Howells

Apr 16, 2021, 4:38:15 PM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
I have an Apex from HumanWare. I find writing and reading on it
very noisy. The thumb keys and the keyboard keys are all very
noisy. My Braille Lite from FS was very quiet. Hims products
are very quiet. I love HIMS, just not the prices. I love the
display on the Orbit. It is not quiet to write on, but the
display is the best and the price is the best.

Jan

Jan Howells

Apr 16, 2021, 4:38:21 PM4/16/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

Hims' products are not compatible with Arris modems or routers,
which my service provider uses. So I am out of luck to
experience the internet or email with my provider. I like the
idea that Orbit produts do not have built-in internet and email.
I like that you can just attach it to something else with the
Just Works Bluetooth capability. That way is software is
updating faster than we can think, the display firmware does not
become old and out of date. I like a unit with a braille
keyboard, or typewriter keyboard, and braille display with also
just notetaker and bluetooth that just works all in one unit. I
think that is much better, seeing that Hims cannot work with
Arris. The software in the Apex is too old. It will not pair
with Dell.

Jan

richard....@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2021, 11:14:48 AM4/17/21
to appleb...@googlegroups.com
Given the recent discussion about braille displays, the following series may be of interest. There may be transcripts after these sessions, but see the note at the end about transcripts.

Your Weekly Update from the Braillists Foundation
This Tuesday (20 April): Which Braille Display Is Best?
Registration link: https://is.gd/RUH5vc
Following the overwhelming success of our recent series of Masterclasses, we are delighted to announce that we are launching a second series this coming Tuesday (20 April) at 7:30 PM. The format will be the same as our last series except that we will only be running two Masterclasses per month, on the first and third Tuesday. Our Braille Clinic (renamed the Braille Bar) will run on weeks where there is no Masterclass.
To launch this new series, we are delighted to be joined by renowned braille display expert Jackie Brown. Jackie is a freelance writer, regular reviewer of braille technology, and author of "Braille ON Display" (published by Mosen Consulting), a comprehensive comparison of braile displays and guide to choosing the right one.
On Tuesday, Jackie will talk us through the process of choosing a braille display. She will outline which factors to consider and why, and the key features of the braille displays which are currently on the market. If you've ever wondered "Which braille display is the best one?" you are sure to have the answer at the end of this session.
Please note: as this is the start of a new series of Masterclasses, our registration link has changed. If you wish to attend live, you will need to register, even if you were previously registered for our Masterclasses.
If you are not able to attend live, we will as ever make a recording available via our Media page and our Braillecast podcast.
We look forward to seeing you on Tuesday!
To register to attend live, please use this link: https://is.gd/RUH5vc

From the Braillist Foundation about transcripts:

We didn't offer transcripts until relatively recently, so we are still quite behind. However, we hope to catch up in the next couple of months, and from then on we will have all our Masterclasses transcribed.
Please check www.braillists.org/media
Best wishes,
Matthew