My guide dog sotry wasRe: Guide dog

1 view

Jessica and Trish the Golden Dog

Apr 25, 2010, 4:55:14 AM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
This is really a long mesage. I tried to keep it brief. Sighs but I
guess I really love my guid dogs. Past and present and hopefully future
whoever they may be.
It is interesting that this came up when it did and on this list of all
places. It is definitely sort of an off topic message. However I don't
believe that was coincidence.
Russell
I will tell you about Trish and I. I will try to make it brief. I wil
not hold out the bad just to convince you of going ahead and getting a
dog. That is your decision. And a lot of the bad was my own fault
really. But well hmmm. Let me just tell the story.
I got my first Seeing Eye dog named Quantas in january of 1996. She
worked well. And people could pet her and it wouldn't affect her work
so I let them. She was always wiolling to work. To her finding the next
adventure was always exciting and let's aim for the top was her view.
She worked till she was 9 and a half and was retired after one day that
she just gave out. Some say are you sure she was tired of working or
then you just pretend she was.
I think I know when a dog cannot work anymore. We were
going to the corner to cross the street. And she wasn't paying
attention at all she just went off the curb like the cars weren't even
there. Her work had been deteriorating for months actually and that day
I did something I probably should not have done but I had no choice we
had to get across the street.
I dropped the harness handle. Waiting for the signal for us to be safe
to go. And just heeled her across. We got across safely thank the Lord.
Quantas had some medical issues. And had an operation to try to make it
so she would work longe.r But it happened the opposite way actually.
But then again I don't know. If she hadn't had the operation she might
have stopped working a lot sooner. So it is a mixed boat of things I suppose.
We got home safely that day although I didn't know how. I would work
her around the block form time to time. But nothing strenuous like
street work and such.
She had some health problems and my mom kept saying to have her put to
sleep. the vets all said she was fine. She was just an old dog.
So I made the decision of caling the school and asking if they could
please find a home for her. Because it was stressing Quantas out with
all the hollering and arguing. It was so hard for me to say bye to her.
But I kept calm. My famnily on the other hand. Well never mind.
Quantas got safely to the scool. We even heard the pilot's voice when
they took off. And it sounded like he was smiling. So imagined or not I
thought maybe he had seen Quantas and it had made his day.
I said at that point I would never get another dog. Never again.
About two years later. I was back at the school with a black lab named
Jesse. I believed at the time I could work with any dog.
The reason I went back is because I am a good cane traveler. But I do
not like canes. I don't know why but I never have felt comfortable with
canes. Maybe it was when I was in school as a child and my cane went in
between my teacher's legs. I don't know.
Everyone even when I was young suggested a guide dog to me. I don't
know when I first heard about it to be honest. So I couldn't wait till
I was old enough.
Anyway two years of basically being cooped up and so on. I said I
cannot stand this. So I reapplied to the school.
Jesse wasn't as willing of a worker as Quantas. And somehow I didn't
feel right with him. But because I believed I could work with any dog I
just decided things would be ok. After all we would have to bond.
How many times do we not go with our first feelings on certian things
and then wham it hits us in the face later on?
My life was pretty crazy back then. Jesse got me through it all. But he
I don't believe was a good match for me. I was constantly fighting with
him which drove me nuts. Although at home he was always near by loving
and trying to get as much in my lap as he could.
With him I actually called the Seeing Eye for help. But before anyone
could come things just turned upside down and I said no now isn't a
good time to come.
Then I moved and I was locked in virtually to a place I didn't know.
Finances were very tight and I couldn't care for Jesse.
So I sent him back to the school. The school said I was doing the right thing.
The instructor who trained Jesse and worked with Jesse and I at the
school is the one who picked Jesse up to take him back to the schoo9l.
I was so greatful.
And i flat out told the school. I will not get another dog.
Jesse was retired. I don't know the reasons specifically. But I can
guess as to some of them. They did tell me I took very good care of
him. And I do that with any dog I have. It is important for me to keep
a dog healthy. And to love them and care for them.
When finances cleared up due to something unexpected. I found I would
be able to care for a guide dog agian.
I argued for weeks with myself on whether to reapply or not. I had
already told the school no I would not get another dog.
I finally decided on reapplying. Not sure of the outcome at all.
In fact I thought they would reject my application. They sent a very
nice person out to reevaluate me I think the word is.
And when he left he said "No matter what happens Jessica your a nice
person and I hope everything works out for you."
To be hoenst. I don't recall if those were his exact words. But
nevertheless. It didn't help lift my spirits.
So when I got an email or was it a call from the Seeing Eye. I was shocked.
They accepted my application. I wept tears of joy.
I went to the school in september of 2009. And no matter what happened
I would have been with the best of the best instructors.
ONe had to replace another due to circumstances that they had to work with.
But smiles. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Either way I would
have been with some of the best. So any bad habits I had picked up I
was sure would be addressed. And that actually comforted me a ton.
I enjoyed the class. It was a very busy yet relaxed class.
I told the first instructor. I said to her what I felt would be a good
dog for me. But the final decision was whoever's as they knew better
than I did.
I said I have this weird idea that I will be travelling alot. I don't
know why. But I need a dog that can have almost anything thrown at them
and they will take it in stride pretty much.
That was important for me. And I didn't even know why at the time.
I would like a dog who loves to play. And yet a dog who doesn't want to
be in my lap all the time or up on furnitue.
I would like a dog who even though they love to play they also will
play on their own if I am busy with something. And most of all I would
like a dog who has a heart to work. That that is what they live and strive for.

What is Trish to me. She is alive. Not dead like a cane.
She guides me around obstacles even though sometimes she will stop and
just stand there looking at me and sometimes a simple hop up will get
her moving agian. If that doesn't then a rub on the side of the mouth a
pat on the head and a good girl will get her moving.
Sometimes I make mistakes and correct her when I shouldn't sighs. And
then I have to make up for it by bending over and giving her a hug
reassuring her.
We have been out east. USA, southeast USA, midwest USA, southeast USA,
and now finally southwest USA.
All since september 2009.
anyone else please LOL don't do this on your own. We have had our rough
times. And this week hopefully we will be making our final move for a
while. I hope anyway.
We have met people who even if they disagree with the dog being harness
and stuff still respect it.
And this last person we have lived in the same house as has been a
total unreasonable person and flat out said they can't respect it. I
think they are animal rights activist or something.
That is why I decided Trish and I needed to move. Besides the move will
get us on our own in our own place.
Trish is a friend, she is my eyes. She loves me. I love her. She works
for the joy of it for the most part. But she like me gets stressed out
if things get to difficult. A simple encouraging word or pat or touch
will generally calm her down.
She livens up my life.
As one has said I go places that I wouldn't dare go with a cane.
I just wennt on my own just doing the route one time with a few other
people. I just went on my own to a congregation yesterday.
And we did fine. Just fine.
I personally would never have been able to do that with a cane.
I feel free. To be able to move on the sidewalks. Across the streets.
I am not saying there aren't issues that arise.
There are.
But we have dealt with them. And I really think we are realy beginning
to work as a team.
Trish is more understanding of my feelings and I hers. And it is almost
like we are becoming one unit. Inseparable if you can understand that.
A cane is an attachment to me anyway. A dog is a partner.
I guess if it were me advising you if you got this far in the message.
I would say. If you are tired of running into things with your cane. If
you love dogs. And if you realize you need to trust that dog. Then
apply for a guide dog. And see what comes.

Dogs aren't for everyone. And I this past time wasn't sure I would be
approved for my third or not.
But they approved me. And I am so glad. I don't think I will ever say
again "I will never get another dog period."
Because a dog to me is my freedom. They become part of my life. I care
for them. I keep them healthy. I love them. I want what is best for
them. Even if some people seem to think that isn't the case.
They give me my life. My dreams. My hopes. They in certain areas
dissolve my fears.
I can walk with confidence. I can walk with my head up unless i am
having a really bad day.
I can get down on the floor with them after hte days work and play with
them and laugh and just enjoy our time together.
What more could one ask for?
I have always hated a dog is a tool statement. It is a correct
statement technically. But a dog a guide dog is more than just a
mobility aid or a tool. They are something far better and beyond that.
They are in my opinion anyway God's gift to the blind. And those who
train them and instruct us with them are God's trainers doing the work
that needs to be done so we can have our eyes. And show the world that
all we are is just blind. That is all. We are human beings. We have
destinies like everyone else.
After all the crazieness that has gone on with me in all the moves I
made and people who simply don't understand and I have not done a
decent job of explaining things to these people or to others what
exactly is going on. I hope when Trish's days of work are over that I
will be getting a fourth guide dog if I am still a healthy person and
can handle it.
It has been rough these past 8 months or so with Trish with al the
moves and stuff.
But I really think finally we are going to make it.
We are going to make it.
You may wish to read some of Peter Putnam's books. Dogs against
Darkness if you can find it and haven't read it already is another good
one to read.
I love the triumph of the seeing eye. I wish nls bard would get it up
on the digital books download site.
Keep your head up mr Putnam is also a good one.
And the article I love so much. the miracle of a blind man and his dog
is probably online somewhere if you do a google search for it.
I know this message was more of a saga than a message. But I hope you read it.
And whatever decision you make. Whatever school you choose if you
decide to yes apply. May your adventures be wonderful and grand with
your friend, guide and partner for hopefully the next 10 or more years.
Jessica and wags from Trish

--
Email services provided by the System Access Mobile Network. Visit

marie Howarth

Apr 25, 2010, 7:46:39 AM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you had a huge good and bad experience.

I'm glad you have found Trish who seems to work amazingly for you. This just reiterates what I said to Russell earlier. It's a partnership, you have to bond. Play time and you and doggy time is essential to how they work in harness. But discipline too. I hate telling my guide dog off but know if I let him get away with stuff, he would misbehave on harness and potentially put me in danger. I liked hearing your story. I wish I'd heard more stories before I'd got Bailey. It's hard for me to advise when the training element comes up as the way the matching process and after care is done very differently here in the UK. :)
thanks for telling us your story.

olivia norman

Apr 25, 2010, 11:50:41 AM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
Wow, what a story! You've certainly been through a lot of dogs!
I'm going to San Rafael for my third dog, my first from GDB, in five weeks. I got my first dog from The Seeing Eye, in July of 1997, he was a huge golden retriever named Stoney, and I just loved him! He saw me through the end of my highschool career, and my undergraduate days. He and I crossed the country a lot, played a lot of ball in a field at school, and my friends and I laughed at all his evil deeds, especially when stealing food was involved. That dog was so funny! He ate everything from toothpicks, to chocolate, to apple pie, and seemed to come out of every food encounter unscathed, I swear he had a stomach of steal. In 2006, I retired him when he was slowing down and no longer enjoyed work. He had a wonderful two years of retirement with my parents and died in June 2008, very suddenly, of cancer. We all miss him, but he was a great guide and pet.
In 2006, I decided that I liked the idea of home training, so I opted to go with Fidelco, which is a small guide dog school here in the US. They provide in community training, which is why I chose them. The thing is, that they only provide german shepherds (alsations for people in the UK) and it turned out that german shepherds were a totally different proposition from the retriever I'd had before, and the black lab pets I've grown up with at home. Yahzee is a great dog, but she's also very high strung, has leash aggression with other dogs, gets easily stressed out, cries a lot when I leave her, and seems to have trouble adapting to new situations at times. What made me decide to retire her early, though, is the fact that she has stomach issues, which my vet believes result from the stress of working. I have a crazy life, and just don't think I can give her what she needs in terms of her health issues and reduction of her stress levels which my vet and family say should lesson once she stops working. I'd actually considered retirement before, because of her other issues, but I felt like I was giving up, but the stomach problems really kind of sealed the deal for me.
After a lot of consideration, I decided not to go back to Fidelco, because I don't feel that a German Shepherd is a good match for me. They're wonderful dogs, but my lifestyle is more condusive to a calmer dog, like a lab or retriever. I opted to go with GDB, because I really like their training style and the three week classes, which are great. So I'm getting my new dog on June First. I'll stay with my aunt and Uncle in Palo Alto for a few days, to give me a bit of time between dogs, so I'll go on Thursday, and come back June 20th. I need to get my uncle to help me create a blog (every site I've seen has a captcha) but once we've got that up and running, I'll send the link out. It will be great to spend a few days with my aunt nd Uncle, they'll drive me to San Rafael on Monday, and I'll start my new journey hopefully feeling relaxed and able to take full advantage of this adventure.
So, that's my guide dog story.
Thanks for posting!
Olivia

Russell Solowoniuk

Apr 25, 2010, 12:21:51 PM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
Jessica! Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate your honesty and openness! You've given me much to think about, and thanks too for the suggested reading! I never even thought that there might be books out there to help in my decision making!

Have a great day, & give Trish a hug for me! :)

Russell
On 2010-04-25, at 2:55 AM, Jessica and Trish the Golden Dog wrote:

> the miracle of a blind man and his dog

Jessica and Trish the Golden Dog

Apr 25, 2010, 12:38:38 PM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
thanks you all for letting me share.
And thanks for sharing your adventures too.
Jessica and Trish

--
Email services provided by the System Access Mobile Network. Visit

Jessica and Trish the Golden Dog

Apr 25, 2010, 1:08:58 PM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for receiving my honesty and openness.
The peter putnam books are available from nls on cassette tape I
believe. or they were. They may be in braille too.
YOu could probably find print versions from the library. Dogs against
darkness. I don't know the author on that one. I saw a pretty beaten up
braille copy at the seeing eye that I suggest they put into the
archives for safe keeping.
It is hard to make a decision like that for a book. But when it has to
do with the history of the school and so on I thought it wise that it
be kept where it wouldn't deteriorate anymore if it was the school's
own copy that they owned.
I was surpried they actually took me up on that and as far as I know
the braille copy is under safe guard in the archives. It would be nice
if they can get a new copy of that book. That one looked like one of
the originals.
But anyway. That is an excellent book to read. If you can find it.
Although some considered it boring. I didn't. It was very informative.
Take care all.
And yes I will give Trish a pat for you.
Jessica and Trish the wonder dog

marie Howarth

Apr 25, 2010, 2:30:54 PM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
Wow, you've had an amazing journey too, Olivia. :)

I'd love to hear your training experiences. From what I understand, the US system is very different to our own in the UK. So I'm very much looking forward to hearing about your journey with your new dog. :)

marie Howarth

Apr 25, 2010, 2:34:46 PM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
We always get a booklet at the start of training, giving a little history of the association and different stages of yours and the dog's partnership. I'll never forget crying on the chapter about retirement. lol. And I hadn't even qualified with Bailey yet. I work for guide dogs on a voluntary basis and the association is a national one here in the UK with different teams all around the country. I love our service and I love what my dog's done for me. And it seems from others who have posted they've had varied experiences also. Bailey was the best decision I ever made and the greatest first dog I could have hoped for. I'm not looking forward to retiring him.

olivia norman

Apr 25, 2010, 4:41:05 PM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
I am really curious, how does training work in the UK?

marie Howarth

Apr 25, 2010, 5:51:29 PM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
Well, the whole process seems different from what I've heard. we apply here with a written application form. Then someone comes out to talk about guide dogs and gives general information and gets a feel for you as a person. Things like your lifestyle etc. Then you have a mobility assessment, to see how good you are with a cane. Here, you have to be a competent cane user before they will allocate a dog. Then there's a third assessment where a guide dog mobility instructor visits and talks to you in depth about what having a guide dog will have an affect on you and your life and you can ask questions. They assess the home for the practicality of spending and things and you then go out with an instructor on a double ended handle and they assess your walking pace, your gait, how you follow the handle etc. Then if you are accepted you go on a waiting list and the guide dog mobility instructor takes all of the information about you and finds what she/he thinks will be a suitable dog. Once the waiting list is clear and a dog is available, the GDMI will come out with the dog and you will walk on a familiar home route and see how the pair work together. I was trialled with one dog and then a few weeks later with a different dog. It was decided I would train with the second dog as he would be able to handle the environments I would be going into much better than the first. They give you a date for training, and you used to go to centres to train with your dog, but now most district teams rent a few hotel rooms and you stay there while doing routes during the day in the local area where the dogs have been trained. You learn to brush them, have health talks about how to handle emenrgencies etc, and do all the various commands. We usually did two or three routes per day and after the two weeks, the dog comes home with you providing that you and the dog are working well, and do several home routes and settle the dog in. The GDMI will visit every day to do routes and when they feel you're safe to work alone, they will qualify you and you are allowed to work the dog independently. You have a weekly visit for around a month and unless you need more routes you are left on your own except for an annual aftercare check to ensure the dog's still working well. My GDMI is always on hand for emergency unknown behaviour or new routes I may need to do.

Hope that gives a little more insight into UK Guide Dogs. :)

Russell Solowoniuk

Apr 25, 2010, 9:29:27 PM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jessica,

I'm not having much luck finding any of Peter Putnam's books in an accessible format... I'm in Canada and we don't have access to NLS books. I'm surprised that the CNIB doesn't have any of them. I did find a lot of other books about guide dogs though, and am listening to a book where the author followed a student through the 26 days of guide dog training... very interesting, and a bit intimidating! <smile>

Thanks again Jessica,

Russell

Russell Solowoniuk

Apr 25, 2010, 9:32:07 PM4/25/10
to apple-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marie,

Thanks for the great description of how the UK guide dog process works! Very interesting.

Russell