How to contribute to the community!

Pooja Shah

Sep 3, 2014, 6:46:20 AM9/3/14
to appium-...@googlegroups.com
Have installed Appium via node on Mac
got code under '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/appium'
Want to fix an issue, for that I reached till the location and kept loggers & comments in one of the java file to see if my changes are reflected
But strangely, while running the script [started server via 'appium  --app-wait-activity .ui.HomeActivity &'  followed by script execution]
I don't find my loggers or comments in server logs and even my changes doesn't gets reflected.
I guess I'm missing compilation & execution before starting the server again
Is there any extra step has to done for node js to say compile & execute ?  [it might be a lame question but since i'm not aware of node js & how the code flow is going from js files to java or shell ]

Regards,
Pooja

Isaac Murchie

Sep 3, 2014, 6:55:55 AM9/3/14
to Pooja Shah, appium-...@googlegroups.com
There is no compilation of JavaScript. But sometimes things are in different places, and only called from one.

Generally, if you want to mess with the code, and contribute (please do!), you ought to use the source from GitHub, rather than the node installation. Otherwise you can't send pull requests, anyway.

--
http://appium.io
---

Pooja Shah

Sep 3, 2014, 9:19:27 AM9/3/14
to Isaac Murchie, appium-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Isaac,
I had forked from git also but again was clueless about how to start appium  server  from that
I'm hands-on in Java but newbie to node js so it would be a great help if you can suggest me the start point.
I had tried the link suggested & failed

Thanks,
Pooja
--
Happy Learning :-)
Regards,

Pooja Shah

Sep 3, 2014, 9:21:26 AM9/3/14
to appium-...@googlegroups.com, is...@saucelabs.com

 ./reset.sh --android --dev --verbose

---- Resetting / Initializing Appium ----

* Dev mode is on, will download/build test apps

RESETTING NPM

* Installing new or updated NPM modules (including devDeps)

npm WARN package.json ass...@0.4.9 assert is also the name of a node core module.

npm WARN package.json by...@0.2.1 No repository field.

npm WARN package.json md5cal...@0.0.3 No repository field.

npm WARN package.json node-i...@0.1.2 No repository field.

npm WARN package.json pa...@0.4.9 path is also the name of a node core module.

* Setting git revision data

Running "setGitRev" task

Config file exists, updating it

{"git-sha":"6508576db76f9c3395c57d197eb6b09820071c0c"}

Done, without errors.

RESETTING ANDROID

* Configuring Android bootstrap

Running "configAndroidBootstrap" task

Error: Target id is not valid. Use 'android list targets' to get the target ids.

Warning: Setup failed with code 1 Use --force to continue.

Aborted due to warnings.

---- FAILURE: reset.sh exited with status 1 ----