"Cannot connect to iTunes store"

Benjamin Wheeler

Jun 27, 2013, 2:52:10 PM6/27/13
to appi...@googlegroups.com
Just set my app up to use Appirater, love it so far.

App already exists in older version in app store. I'm using the same identifier in my Appirater configuration. On the same test device (iPhone5 running ios 6.1) I can load the app store fine and make purchases. Good network connection.

But when I follow the "Rate [my app name]" alert button that Appirater pops up, I get a "Cannot connect to iTunes store" alert box and must cancel to go back to my app.

Any idea of what I should try? Does the request need to come from some "test user" who isn't me?

Thanks!
-Ben in Brooklyn

she...@appymonkeys.com

Jun 28, 2013, 3:56:45 AM6/28/13
to appi...@googlegroups.com
I am also having the same problem. Is it a must to give working app-ID. I mean is there another way to test it's network connection to appstore.

Arash Payan

Jun 29, 2013, 4:15:39 PM6/29/13
to appi...@googlegroups.com
The app id must be valid, and the app must be in the app store for the review page to load.

Arash Payan

Jun 29, 2013, 5:33:38 PM6/29/13
to appi...@googlegroups.com
Posting conversation from email:

The string 'com.ehighlighter' in your app is actually the Bundle ID. Your app id (labeled Apple ID in iTunes Connect) is a numerical identifier. For example, if you look at the Youtube app's web url:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/youtube/id544007664?mt=8

you'll notice the app id for the YouTube app is 544007664, and that value is what you want to pass to [Appirater setAppId:]. I don't blame you for thinking it should be the bundle id. It's pretty silly that Apple defines TWO unique identifiers for a single app.

-Arash

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Benjamin Wheeler wrote:

The app is live in the App Store and the app ID is correct -- as long as by "app id" we mean the same thing... My app's identifier string is "com.ehighlighter".

It sounds from reading about this problem online like there are a dozen possible things that could be wrong and not many ways to narrow down the problem.

Benjamin Wheeler

Jun 30, 2013, 11:19:16 AM6/30/13
to appi...@googlegroups.com
Fixed it! I was using the wrong kind of identifier -- you need to do the kind that is ALL DIGITS, that itunesconnect assigns your app, which you can find if your app is already live in a previous version by figuring out your app's itunes url...

Arash Payan

Jun 30, 2013, 5:20:49 PM6/30/13
to appi...@googlegroups.com
If you're app is not in the App Store yet, you can follow these steps to get your app id before release.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4153186/obtain-apple-software-id-number-before-appstore-submission-for-appirater

Chandrashekar M.

Jul 1, 2013, 12:26:47 AM7/1/13
to Arash Payan, appi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys, that was a great help.

Rachelle-Joanne Oduniyi

Oct 10, 2013, 8:13:55 AM10/10/13
to appi...@googlegroups.com
I have my correct appid but yet anytime i click on the rate button it does not lead me to the itunes store. Must i also use the same bundle id as on the appp store?