How do I get started

ora726

Aug 23, 2010, 2:39:32 AM8/23/10
to appenginejs
Hi all,
I have been going round for a couple of days trying to understand how
to start using appengineJS and miserably failed.

What I don't understand is how you create the appengineJS project, add
your code and deploy it to Google app engine.

I have read trough the creation and deployment of Java and Python
application in Google Web App and roughly understand how it work.
I have also looked into the appengineJS provided examples and more or
less understand what they are doing.
I have also tested how to add static pages in a Java project and it
works.

I assume that I should create a Google App Engine Java project because
appengineJS run on top of Java, but how do you put the javascript code
into the Java project ?

Please keep in mind that I no understanding of Java and was under the
impression that Java knowledge is not required to deploy a Javascript
application.

Is there any step by step explanation of the process to follow ?

Thanks in advance for your kind patience and time.

Raymond

George Moschovitis

Aug 23, 2010, 3:42:22 AM8/23/10
to appenginejs
Hello Raymond,

the easiest way to get started is from the appengine-example:

http://www.nitrojs.org/appenginejs/appengine-example.tar.gz

just put your JSGI application in src/main.js (export.app).

for example:

src/main.js:

exports.app = function (request) {
return {
status: 200,
headers: {},
body: ["Hello world"]
}
}

A better solution would be to use a JSGI framework like Nitro
(www.nitrojs.org) or Ringo's webapp (http://www.ringojs.org)

You don't need any knowledge of Java.

-g.

On Aug 23, 9:39 am, ora726 <raymond.othenin-gir...@raydropin.com>

ora726

Aug 23, 2010, 1:33:38 PM8/23/10
to appenginejs
Thanks George,
The solution was way too simple to think of !!!
I have spent the last month learning new tools and there isn't one
that doesn't expect some command to be executed, files to be tweaked,
projects to downloaded, stuff to be created that I didn't think about
the obvious, thanks.

On the Server side I will just need to collect and distribute data and
organize the communications with the apps on the client side, would
you still recommend me to add Nitro or Ringo for that ? I won't be
serving any screen or form.

Thanks again.

Raymond

On Aug 23, 3:42 pm, George Moschovitis <george.moschovi...@gmail.com>

George Moschovitis

Aug 23, 2010, 1:44:02 PM8/23/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
On the Server side I will just need to collect and distribute data and
organize the communications with the apps on the client side, would
you still recommend me to add Nitro or Ringo for that ? I won't be
serving any screen or form.

You can use plain JSGI, even though Nitro/Ringo are lightweight wrappers.

-g.

--
http://www.gmosx.com/blog
http://www.appenginejs.org

Frederick Polgardy

Aug 23, 2010, 2:33:13 PM8/23/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
I recently wrote about this on my company's blog.

http://blog.obtiva.com/post/978165816/deploying-a-javascript-application-to-google-appengine

I'd be curious to know if it's helpful for you or not.

-Fred

--
Science answers questions; philosophy questions answers.

ora726

Aug 23, 2010, 11:19:27 PM8/23/10
to appenginejs
Dear Frederick,
I have been looking for a long time for a tread to follow and
understand this environment and that's exactly what your blog is
providing, Thanks.
I have quickly read trough the blog and could in minutes answer a lot
of my questions.
Now I only have to learn more about JSGI and Ringo to start working on
my project again.

Would you consider adding this blog to the project documentation ? for
people like me new to appengineJS it proved nearly impossible to start
without asking questions in this group.

Thanks again

Raymond

On Aug 24, 2:33 am, Frederick Polgardy <f...@polgardy.com> wrote:
> I recently wrote about this on my company's blog.
>
> http://blog.obtiva.com/post/978165816/deploying-a-javascript-applicat...

George Moschovitis

Aug 24, 2010, 12:26:02 AM8/24/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
Wow, didn't know about that!

Will add a link to the site. Even better, if you are OK with it I would like to add a plain-JSGI version of your tutorial as a section to the site.

thanks,
-g.

Frederick Polgardy

Aug 24, 2010, 9:38:44 AM8/24/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
By all means, I would only ask that you credit me back. :)

-Fred

--
Science answers questions; philosophy questions answers.

Frederick Polgardy

Aug 24, 2010, 9:40:15 AM8/24/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
Also, if anything in the tutorial sounds fishy or incorrect, let me know so I can fix it!

-Fred

--
Science answers questions; philosophy questions answers.

George Moschovitis

Aug 24, 2010, 10:44:15 AM8/24/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com

> By all means, I would only ask that you credit me back. :)

goes without saying...

-g.

-Fred

--
Science answers questions; philosophy questions answers.

On Aug 23, 2010, at 11:26 PM, George Moschovitis wrote:

Wow, didn't know about that!

Will add a link to the site. Even better, if you are OK with it I would like to add a plain-JSGI version of your tutorial as a section to the site.

thanks,
-g.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Frederick Polgardy <fr...@polgardy.com> wrote:
I rec

George Moschovitis

Aug 24, 2010, 10:44:35 AM8/24/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
Also, if anything in the tutorial sounds fishy or incorrect, let me know so I can fix it!

will have a closer look later...

-g.

ora726

Aug 25, 2010, 1:01:25 PM8/25/10
to appenginejs
Hi Frederick and George,

I'm perfect to find problems in the blog, I have never touched this
environment before and am also pretty green at anything on the server
side, so if it can help I'll list the problems I encountered and how I
got out of them (If at all).

1) To start with I got stuck because Ringo could not find a file
run.jar (That's java stuff right ?).

Please add a note to run ant run.jar in the article, :-)

Now I am at the step where I should be able to run the empty ringojs
application after copying both narwhal and appengine in packages.
I started the web server with dev_appserver myapp, I get no error
message so fare.

When I start the web browser on 127.0.0.1:8080 i get :
###################
JavaException: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.io.FilePermission /WEB-INF/app/skins/index.html read) (ringo/
skin.js#95)

In file ringo/skin.js at line 95
###################

Just too tired to look this up right now, it well past sleeping time
on my side of the plannet, so let me know if you have any clue.

Thanks

Raymond

On Aug 24, 10:44 pm, George Moschovitis <george.moschovi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Also, if anything in the tutorial sounds fishy or incorrect, let me know so
> > I can fix it!
>
> > will have a closer look later...
>
> -g.
>

> > -Fred
>
> > --
> > Science answers questions; philosophy questions answers.
>
> > On Aug 23, 2010, at 11:26 PM, George Moschovitis wrote:
>
> > Wow, didn't know about that!
>
> > Will add a link to the site. Even better, if you are OK with it I would
> > like to add a plain-JSGI version of your tutorial as a section to the site.
>
> > thanks,
> > -g.
>
> > On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Frederick Polgardy <f...@polgardy.com>wrote:
>
> >> I recently wrote about this on my company's blog.
>
> >>http://blog.obtiva.com/post/978165816/deploying-a-javascript-applicat...

Frederick Polgardy

Aug 25, 2010, 1:47:09 PM8/25/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
Oh, you know what, I wonder if I just did this so long ago that I forgot it wasn't pre-built in the distro. Good catch, thanks!

--
Science answers questions; philosophy questions answers.

Frederick Polgardy

Aug 25, 2010, 1:48:35 PM8/25/10
to Frederick Polgardy, appen...@googlegroups.com
Also-

G: should I just yank out the Narwhal references? Is narwhal-lib necessary anymore?

I'll pull everything down from scratch again and make sure it's up to date.

-Fred

--
Science answers questions; philosophy questions answers.

George Moschovitis

Aug 25, 2010, 2:45:21 PM8/25/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
no, narwhal-lib  is no longet necessary.

-g.