Narwhal vs RingoJS: where is AppengineJS going to?

Giacecco

Jul 17, 2010, 9:39:43 AM7/17/10
to appenginejs
Hi George,
first of all thank you for the work you're doing on AppengineJS (and
you, reader, should better help either contribute or donate here
http://www.appenginejs.org/ ). I have a feeling I am going to use this
forum very often.

My question for this thread is very simple. The basic AppengineJS
example at http://j.mp/bkE0NO uses Narwhal for its Hash class and,
apparently, anything else. You write here http://j.mp/ag6rIS and
explain how you are a RingoJS backer now. When is AppengineJS moving
to RingoJS, too?

Giacecco

George Moschovitis

Jul 17, 2010, 10:24:19 AM7/17/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
I have a feeling I am going to use this
forum very often.

Ok, I  am waiting for questions :)

My question for this thread is very simple. The basic AppengineJS
example at http://j.mp/bkE0NO uses Narwhal for its Hash class and,
apparently, anything else. You write here http://j.mp/ag6rIS and
explain how you are a RingoJS backer now. When is AppengineJS moving
to RingoJS, too?

AppengineJS has already moved to RingoJS. We just keep narwhal-lib around to use a couple of useful methods. I will work with Hannes to introduce alternatives in Rinog so we an get rid of this dependency.

We moved from Narwhal to Ringo because (IMO), the Rhino-based Narwhal engine is not actively maintained any more. Ringo is a better fit for AppengineJS because the lead developer has over ten years experience with JavaScript on Java and Rhino.

Hope that answers your question.

regards,
George.

PS: I have the utmost respect for Tom and Kris. Narwhal is a testament to their amazing engineering and design skills.

--
http://www.gmosx.com/blog
http://www.appenginejs.org