Choice of a web framework to put on top of AppengineJS

Giacecco

Jul 17, 2010, 10:58:17 AM7/17/10
to appenginejs
Hi George,
From studying your blog example one can see that you use a combination
of two projects of yours as a web framework: Nitro http://www.nitrojs.org
and Normal Template (which does not depend on Nitro, though you
perhaps consider as part of it).

I wanted to ask you if that was just your choice for the examples, or
those are the only options for AppengineJS. Nothing against Nitro of
course, but why not relying on another mainstream Javascript
framework, such as SproutCore http://www.sproutcore.com , just to name
one?

Thanks!

Giacecco

George Moschovitis

Jul 17, 2010, 4:17:40 PM7/17/10
to appenginejs
> I wanted to ask you if that was just your choice for the examples

this was just a choice for the examples.

However, if you want to use the default Ringo JsgiServlet your
framework of choice should be compatible with JSGI.
Alternatively, you can write your own 'bootstrap' servlet.

> framework, such as SproutCore http://www.sproutcore.com , just to name
> one?

I thought SproutCore was a UI framework. Anyway, my point stands, you
can use your Framework of choice with AppengineJS.
JSGI is the simplest (and more effective IMO) solution though.

-g.

Giacecco

Jul 18, 2010, 3:20:28 AM7/18/10
to appenginejs
Let's try to see if I got it right.

Because you suggest building on top of JSGI, and since AppengineJS
depends on RingoJS already, there is no point in adding any other JSGI
framework on top, correct? It make sense.

Then, I just need a *template* framework to put on top of RingoJS'
JSGI. SproutCore or Google Closure Library are UI frameworks, hence
one layer above what I am talking about, and I still need something in
the middle, like Simple Template.

By saying that JSGI is the more effective, are you saying that you
would not add a template framework but would write anything that is
needed yourself?

G.

On Jul 17, 9:17 pm, George Moschovitis <george.moschovi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I wanted to ask you if that was just your choice for the examples
>
> this was just a choice for the examples.
>
> However, if you want to use the default Ringo JsgiServlet your
> framework of choice should be compatible with JSGI.
> Alternatively, you can write your own 'bootstrap' servlet.
>
> > framework, such as SproutCorehttp://www.sproutcore.com, just to name

George Moschovitis

Jul 18, 2010, 3:29:18 AM7/18/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
Because you suggest building on top of JSGI, and since AppengineJS
depends on RingoJS already, there is no point in adding any other JSGI
framework on top, correct? It make sense.

Yeah, you should use plain JSGI, Nitro, or Ringo's webapp.
But, if you have to, you can write yet another framework ;-)

Then, I just need a *template* framework to put on top of RingoJS'
JSGI. SproutCore or Google Closure Library are UI frameworks, hence
one layer above what I am talking about, and I still need something in
the middle, like Simple Template.

For templating, you can use any JS templating system you like (mustachejs, json-template, etc...)
However, give normal-template a try:  http://www.nitrojs.org/normal-template

By saying that JSGI is the more effective, are you saying that you
would not add a template framework but would write anything that is
needed yourself?

No JSGI has nothing to do with templating, you should use the template engine you prefer.

-g.

--
http://www.gmosx.com/blog
http://www.appenginejs.org