Production configuration

Aurimas

Sep 25, 2010, 11:44:29 AM9/25/10
to appenginejs
What does optlevel setting in app.yaml stand for? In appengine-blog-
example it's set to -1. Should I change it to 9 before deploying my
app?
And what does "production: true" do?
Is there a way to change these settings automatically on deployment?

George Moschovitis

Sep 25, 2010, 11:48:43 AM9/25/10
to appenginejs
Switch optlevel to 9, yes.
Also use production: true (disables module reloading etc)

-g.

Greg

Oct 3, 2010, 6:09:16 PM10/3/10
to appenginejs

Aurimas

Oct 17, 2010, 3:16:34 PM10/17/10
to appenginejs
Is there a way to automate the process of setting optlevel:9 and
production:true in app.yaml before deplying?

On Oct 4, 1:09 am, Greg <gregtillbr...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> optlevel seems to stand for 'optimisation level'
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Rhino_Shellhttps://developer.mozilla.org/en/Rhino/Optimization

Hannes Wallnoefer

Nov 19, 2010, 4:13:55 AM11/19/10
to appenginejs
On 25 Sep., 16:48, George Moschovitis <george.moschovi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Switch optlevel to 9, yes.
> Also use production: true (disables module reloading etc)
>
> -g.

I would advice against setting optlevel to 9. There is very little
difference in speed between optlevel 0 and 9, and there's a somewhat
higher probability to stumble over obscure bugs (here are some rhino
bugs with optlevel > 0, most of which have been fixed: http://bit.ly/c38SET)

For apps lower traffic that will often be spun down and restarted I
even recommend setting optlevel to -1, as this will significantly
reduce startup time. On top of that, this will reduce memory usage
which seems to cause apps to be left running for longer time when
idle.

I've also added this to our wiki page about google app engine:
http://ringojs.org/wiki/Google_App_Engine/

Hannes

Hannes Wallnoefer

Nov 19, 2010, 4:34:15 AM11/19/10
to appenginejs
2010/11/19 Hannes Wallnoefer <han...@gmail.com>:

> For apps lower traffic that will often be spun down and restarted I
> even recommend setting optlevel to -1, as this will significantly
> reduce startup time. On top of that, this will reduce memory usage
> which seems to cause apps to be left running for longer time when
> idle.

BTW, the new "Instances" page in the app engine admin console is a
great way to see how long an instance takes for the first request, how
much memory it consumes and how long it is left running when idle.

http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-app-engine-sdk-138-includes-new.html

Hannes

George Moschovitis

Nov 19, 2010, 5:02:28 AM11/19/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
Btw, Google released a preview of 1.4.0 with *tons* of great features including reserved instances and warmup requests.
great times for gae developers.

-g.

Frederick Polgardy

Nov 19, 2010, 10:33:02 AM11/19/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
G-

Do you know of any changes in 1.4.0 that would affect AppEngineJS?

-Fred

George Moschovitis

Nov 19, 2010, 10:34:28 AM11/19/10
to appen...@googlegroups.com
No idea,

I am not working actively on AppengineJS lately, but I plan to update the code to make sure it runs with 1.4.0, when the SDK is actually released though.

-g.