problems with sessions

Allen Romero

May 10, 2010, 2:22:02 PM5/10/10
to appengine-utilities
Hey there.

So i'm currently doing a lot of development on my local computer
(using a sqllite db).

I seem to keep having issues where upon trying to fetch the session,
it's empty. Not sure if this is because I am constantly saving files,
editing code, etc. I haven't tried this in production yet because it's
not quite that stable.

Any thoughts? Have others had problems losing their sessions very
frequently?

Thanks,

Allen

Joe Bowman

May 10, 2010, 2:46:24 PM5/10/10
to appengine-utilities
Sounds like you're experiencing this issue?

http://github.com/joerussbowman/gaeutilities/issues#issue/4

No one has had time to look at this, unfortunately. It does only
impact the development environment.

Allen Romero

May 11, 2010, 1:57:52 AM5/11/10
to appengine-utilities
gotcha. thx for the reply. good to know it only effect the development
env. if you need more info for troubleshooting, let me know ... when
you're ready to troubleshoot. thx! and thx for your work in putting
together this library!

allen

Joe Bowman

May 11, 2010, 12:36:44 PM5/11/10
to appengine-utilities
It'll be a while for me, I'm afraid. My wife is due in 6 weeks, so
I'll be happily busy for a while :) I'm also trying to launch a non-
appengine related project.

I never got a chance to pin it down. The things in mind to check are

Have a session, validate the session info is there using the datastore
viewer
Restart the developer instance
Check the datastore viewer to see if the session still exists, and if
your cookie still exists without hitting a session page

If that's the case, then I'd probably start digging through the
memcached code to see if a token is getting pushed to memcached but
not the datastore. The memcached instance should be getting wiped when
you restart the local server, so my hunch is it's the data missing
from there that causes the issue. Maybe there's a bug with the
failover from memcache to datastore as well.

That's my rough hunches on the issue. If anyone wants to track it down
and fix it, I'll be happy to review and accept a valid pull request on
github.