1.3 is now live

Joe Bowman

Sep 28, 2009, 12:07:15 AM9/28/09
to appengine-utilities
Along with the 1.3 release, the project page has been redesigned -
http://gaeutilities.appspot.com

Not a lot of changes since 1.3rc1, several bug fixes and typos have
been created, as well as some of the scripts have been cleaned up and
internal documenation updated. Wiki pages will be updated throughout
the next week as time permits.

marcdmarc

Sep 28, 2009, 6:22:37 PM9/28/09
to appengine-utilities
Great news on the new release. I have been using these libraries for
a while now and they work great. After reading the docs from the new
website, I read this on the Sessions web page.

"In order to take advantage of the token system for an authentication
system, you will want to tie sessions to accounts, and make sure only
one session is valid for an account. You can do this by setting a
db.ReferenceProperty(_Appengine_Utilities_Session) attribute on your
user Model, and use the get_ds_session() method on a valid session to
populate it on login."

This seems pretty straight forward, although a simple example code
would be really helpful showing how to implement this properly. Would
you please consider including this in the docs or the website. I have
been wondering why I would have more than one session per user in the
datastore, and this problem has been occuring for the past two
months. I didn't realize this could be done until rereading the web
page again. Thanks for your efforts.

On Sep 27, 9:07 pm, Joe Bowman <bowman.jos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Along with the 1.3 release, the project page has been redesigned -http://gaeutilities.appspot.com

Joe Bowman

Sep 28, 2009, 9:38:19 PM9/28/09
to appengine-utilities
I'll see what I can do. The general gist is that session only handles
communication between the server, and the browser. It's up to the
application developer to restrict sessions to a single account, if
that's what it's being used for. Session really just persists state
across http requests, so there's no need for it to be used for
accounts. It could be used for something as simple as counting how
many requests a browser makes to the website, like the view counter in
the demo.

Thinking about this, I probably could make this easier if added
a .model method for the session which would return the model object in
order to make the ReferenceProperty easier to set. I'll see what I can
do. I'll file an issue after posting this and followup will be done
there.

Joe Bowman

Sep 30, 2009, 7:14:55 PM9/30/09
to appengine-utilities
fyi, I'm in the middle of pushing a freelance project I'm working on
live, so will not be able to get to this until next week at the
earliest