[Request for comment] Chart Components Project

Evaldas Latoškinas

Aug 23, 2019, 9:09:16 AM8/23/19
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hello everyone,

As part of the Google Summer of Code 2019, I have worked on a project which aims to add Charts to App Inventor. The project
is in a relatively complete state, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

The pull request for the project can be found here: https://github.com/mit-cml/appinventor-sources/pull/1776

Various links, a list of features and some comments can be seen in the main post of the pull request. Also,
I am working on a documentation document which will describe all the features in more depth (it will
also be included in the main post of the PR)

Regards,
Evaldas

Peter Mathijssen

Aug 23, 2019, 12:28:01 PM8/23/19
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hi Evaldas,

I  asked the AI Power Users to test your new component. Great job.

Peter

Abraham Getzler

Aug 23, 2019, 1:09:01 PM8/23/19
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
The internals docs are well detailed,
and a great example for future
component developers.

I learned from the discussion of real time data
and Futures.

The appinventortest board gets lots of
questions from people trying to reinvent
these wheels.

The test server provided worked well,
with design time responsiveness to
sample data in the mocks.

Best Component Ever!

ABG

Abraham Getzler

Aug 25, 2019, 5:54:02 PM8/25/19
to App Inventor Open Source Development
For your Ideas For Expansion section, you might mention:

BLE Data Sources

Real Time Sync for wave form display

in anticipation of requests from people trying to graph
from their Heart Rate Monitors.

ABG

Evaldas Latoškinas

Aug 26, 2019, 11:11:43 AM8/26/19
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Thank you for the feedback on various points! I am really glad that you liked the components!

I will add your recommendations to the PR's Future Work section soon. It might be worthwhile to later on create issues or documentation internally which
would specify possible expansions to the Chart components so it does not get lost with the PR.

Evaldas

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 12:28 PM Peter Mathijssen <pmath...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Evaldas,

I  asked the AI Power Users to test your new component. Great job.

Peter

bh26

Aug 29, 2019, 3:58:42 PM8/29/19
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hi,
This looks very nice.
I have played just a few with it and I may have misunderstood something because I am getting one strange effect.
I add entries everytime I click on a button and I use the Chartdata.clear block to clear the data;
When I use a pie chart the y entry is actually cleared but not the x.
as you can see in the screen after a few clicks I get numerous "labels" for each share of the pie.

Screenshot_2019-08-29-21-41-47.png

what am I doing wrong here?
thanks
Bernard
charts.aia

Abraham Getzler

Aug 29, 2019, 4:44:47 PM8/29/19
to app-inventor-o...@googlegroups.com
I can't test because the supplied Companion.apk won't run in Genymotion emulators.

What I suspect is happening is that you might have to reset the titles list of the
Chart components to an empty list when you clear the datasets.

ABG

Evaldas Latoškinas

Aug 29, 2019, 5:05:43 PM8/29/19
to App Inventor Open Source Development
Hi Bernard,

Thank you for reporting the issue. This is, in fact, a bug internally which only happens when using the Clear block with the Pie Chart. I have noted the issue and will push a fix as well as update the link soon.

Cheers,
Evaldas