Flappy Birdy (a Flappy Bird clone)

Scott Ferguson

Sep 16, 2015, 11:38:22 PM9/16/15
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
This project was inspired by an excellent HTML5 YouTube tutorial > part 1 < and > part 2 <.
In his two videos he lays out the design of the game and codes it with javascript.
As javascript has some similarities to App Inventor blocks, I was able to make use of a large part of his examples.
While javascript has great flexibility, App Inventor has some features built-in like collision detection between sprites which must be manually coded with bounding boxes in javascript.
So in some ways, coding such a game might be easier in App Inventor.
While there are many animation libraries for javascript, I find it most useful to see exactly how animation is done when game-makers use just basic javascript with the HTML5 canvas.
That way, if things such as gravity must be simulated, it is easy to snap together the blocks to do it.
Or if I need to make two drawn circles collide, I can use bounding boxes in the javascript style.
Here are some screen shots in no particular order of me playing the App Inventor version of the game...

The project's blocks are well documented and a link to the original tutorial is included in the comments of the READ_ME procedure.

Have fun with this one, and see if you can make it better!

---

sf

FlappyBirdy.aia
FlappyBirdy.apk

Ivan Nedev

Jan 1, 2016, 9:39:56 AM1/1/16
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi! It is amazing! I just have one question - sometimes the lower pipe joint height is too big and closes the gap between the pipes. Is it a bug?

Scott Ferguson

Jan 1, 2016, 10:06:05 PM1/1/16
to App Inventor Developers Library
That is quite likely.
If you find a way to fix it, please let me know here and I will update the attached aia project.
I may take a look at it later otherwise, but am busy with other things at the moment.
Thanks for the heads-up :-)
---
sf

Andre Stellato

Apr 29, 2017, 2:30:53 PM4/29/17
to App Inventor Developers Library
Hi! It is amazing! I just have one question - sometimes the lower pipe joint height is too big and closes the gap between the pipes. Is it a bug?

Michael Ferguson

Apr 30, 2017, 4:40:55 AM4/30/17
to App Inventor Developers Library
Quite likely! But I am no longer developing these apps.
Time to put your debugging hat on!
---
sf
Message has been deleted