New AI2 personal server! AI2U (App Inventor 2 Ultimate)

Scott Ferguson

Feb 15, 2014, 10:35:22 AM2/15/14
Shared by ยุทธนา แม่นผล  (krupong) who works at  Srimonkol school in Thailand.

This practically plug-and-play version of the MIT App Inventor software requires no internet connection to function.
It was developed for students to take home and work on apps without internet access.

I mistakenly downloaded the 64bit version of ai2u the first time and I have a 32-bit machine so had to install the 32bit java SE SDK to get it to work.
You will not have to do that.

To see if your computer has a 32-bit or 64-bit processor:

Start, right-click Computer, Properties, then look at System type. It will show either 32-bit or 64-bit.
If you have a 32bit machine be sure to install the 32bit ai2u version.

sourcefortge download page for 32bit and 64bit machines: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ai2u/files/ai2u%201.0/

Download and install the executable, then...

Add or modify the Java options environment variable:

Go to Start, right-click Computer, Properties, Advanced system settings, Environment variables...
In the User variables for <name> list edit or add the following:

_JAVA_OPTIONS   -Xms256m   -Xmx512m

Once the App Inventor 2 Ultimate icon is clicked, the build server window will show that it is running and you can then open a web browser and enter localhost:8888
From there you can log in with the default email address and begin development.
---
Now I can import, export and build (I tested this on a large project) my larger projects where I could not import or export with the MIT service.

It also works with the Feb 11 updated Companion app right out of the box and it comes with its own 'AIStarter' called aWinStarter.exe so you don't need aiStarter running if you use this.
I tested development with my tablet connected via USB and the Companion app worked just fine.

===
Here is what I did to get the 64bit version to work on my 32bit machine:
---
The executable creates a path C:\AI2U that contains a JDK folder.

After installing it I got an error messsage when clicking the launch icon 'App Inventor 2 Ultimate' that said something like 'this version of the software is not compatible with your windows version. Check with the software provider to see if you need a 32bit or 64bit version...)

This was corrected by updating my Java SE software from 6U45 ()32bit) to 7u40 (32bit).
I installed the development kit rather than the runtime environment just in case and that worked.

I archived the JDK folder in the C:\AI2U folder as oldJDK and had the Java install program create a new JDK folder and do the install there.
When prompted to install the JRE files I installed them in a new JRE folder under the AI2U folder.
---
END of fixing my mess.
===
---
Scott

Omer Rosenbaum

Feb 19, 2014, 1:24:11 PM2/19/14
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
That is exactly what I am looking for.
Project that I build on this platform can be uploaded to Google Play under my user or in order to upload an app built on this platform I would need to replicate it on AI2?

Scott Ferguson

Feb 20, 2014, 9:07:12 AM2/20/14
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
I don't know the answer to that. Check with Jose' at App Inventor Open Source Development group.https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/app-inventor-open-source-dev
---
Scott

Taifun

Feb 20, 2014, 2:15:14 PM2/20/14
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
using an offline personal server you should be able to use any user name and you should be able to upload an app directly to Google Play without uploading it into MIT AI2 first...
Taifun

Trying to push the limits of App Inventor! Snippets and Tutorials from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Asri

Jun 7, 2014, 7:14:32 AM6/7/14
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I've installed the AI2U ver1.3 (x86) and successfully run AI2 from localhost:8888,
but somehow it cannot connect to the MIT AI Companion inside the emulator. Please refer to attached file.

What I did --> set Java options environment variable: _JAVA_OPTIONS   -Xms256m   -Xmx512m

Do I also need to set JAVA_HOME to C:\AI2U\JDK or to my default java installed folder (C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0)?

Can someone help me out?

Thank you in advance.
Error_Companion.gif

Scott Ferguson

Jun 8, 2014, 7:06:38 AM6/8/14
Do I also need to set JAVA_HOME to C:\AI2U\JDK or to my default java installed folder (C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0)?

Update: Yutthana states below that JDK 8 does not work with AI2U so use JDK 7

I don't know if that is required (you can try running the local instance without it to find out) and I don't see that in my documentation and cannot find the original install instructions from the author, but it should not hurt to include that environment variable.
According to this article you set the path to the location where you installed the Java Runtime Environment  or JRE
So either C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.x or if it has a problem with that then C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.7.x should work.
---
Scott

Yutthana

Jun 8, 2014, 10:22:51 AM6/8/14
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
delete .appinventor folder in your home directory.And try again.
AI2U not compatible with JDK 8 so you can install JDK 7 or use default AI2U setting.

Asri

Jun 8, 2014, 9:46:17 PM6/8/14
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
Yutthana and Scott,

Noted with thanks. I'll inform the result later.

Thanks again.

Scott Ferguson

Jun 11, 2014, 7:03:48 AM6/11/14
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Yutthana. I have updated my original reply to note that issue.
---
Scott

Asri

Jun 19, 2014, 12:53:55 AM6/19/14
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
Yutthana & Scott,

The problem was solved after I deleted the .appinventor folder and installed the JDK7.

Thank you for helping me out.

Asri.

Zahiraya

Mar 16, 2015, 6:29:06 AM3/16/15
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi All friends

may i ask someting

can we delete user or remove user in AI2 offline

coz i only see an login form (with email)

regards
M yanto

Taifun

Mar 16, 2015, 3:56:09 PM3/16/15
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
for questions about AI2U, please use the following forum https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ai2u
Taifun

蔡念光

Mar 5, 2014, 1:52:38 PM3/5/14
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
Great Job! Thank you !
Message has been deleted

Adrian@15060

Oct 5, 2018, 6:41:40 AM10/5/18
to App Inventor Developers Library
Where do I find "Computer" in "Start" on Windows 10?

MuhamadUmar MokhtarAshaari

Oct 5, 2018, 8:44:31 AM10/5/18
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi there Adrian!

When you open "Start" you have to file "This PC", or you can just go to the file explorer to go to "This PC".

--
(you have received this message from the App Inventor Developers Library)
---

Hong You Wong

Oct 10, 2018, 6:25:43 AM10/10/18
to app-inventor-de...@googlegroups.com