Why not implement a Django database backend for App Engine?

frankabel

Nov 18, 2009, 6:13:58 AM11/18/09
to app-engine-django
Hi all,

I'm newbie in this App Engine and Django. As far I know, lot of Django
app portability get solved if someone implement a Django database
backend for App Engine. Even I read "Once queryset-refactor lands in
trunk, it might also be possible to write a database backend for App
Engine that would allow any app to run properly. " at
http://martyalchin.com/2008/apr/8/appengine/

Somebody can explain me why isn't implemented yet such database
backend? I, mean is such big deal? What are the main problems that
ones must address to write such backend?

Cheers
Frank Abel

Daniel Wong

Nov 22, 2009, 10:39:33 PM11/22/09
to app-engine-django
Frank,

I don't think your tone is appropriate. If you think its not "such a
big deal" to implement, you should do it yourself and contribute it
back to the community.

Your question is a valid one. For the answer to that, you should watch
this talk, given by Guido Van Rossum on using Django with Google App
Engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gTI4BOPUw

If you want to fast forward to the parts that are relevant to your
question, go to 4:45, 13:20, and 48:30. The talk is a good primer on
the whole subject of using Django in GAE, so I recommend that you just
watch the whole thing.

Daniel

On Nov 18, 3:13 am, frankabel <frank.abel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm newbie in this App Engine and Django. As far I know, lot of Django
> app portability get solved if someone implement a  Django database
> backend for App Engine. Even I read "Once queryset-refactor lands in
> trunk, it might also be possible to write a database backend for App
> Engine that would allow any app to run properly. " athttp://martyalchin.com/2008/apr/8/appengine/

frankabel

Nov 25, 2009, 9:51:10 AM11/25/09
to app-engine-django

On Nov 22, 10:39 pm, Daniel Wong <allyourc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I don't think your tone is appropriate. If you think its not "such a
> big deal" to implement, you should do it yourself and contribute it
> back to the community.

Ohhh, I really sorry if those words was offensives or in a
inappropriate tone.

> Your question is a valid one. For the answer to that, you should watch
> this talk, given by Guido Van Rossum on using Django with Google App
> Engine:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gTI4BOPUw
>
> If you want to fast forward to the parts that are relevant to your
> question, go to 4:45, 13:20, and 48:30. The talk is a good primer on
> the whole subject of using Django in GAE, so I recommend that you just
> watch the whole thing.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Just add this link to this post
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/730a504ad71dc949/fdd41c4f3dd7b0ea?lnk=gst&q=frankabel#fdd41c4f3dd7b0ea