PhoneGap, apigee and user accounts

Jonas Persson

May 6, 2013, 11:19:57 AM5/6/13
to app-...@googlegroups.com
I want to use Apigee, jquery-mobile, and PhoneGap, so I won't have access to any native features, such as local storage. One thing I have been pondering is if it's then possible to make the data specific for a specific app without creating a sign-in and forcing the app user to register. Basically, one phone would be one user, and I don't want it to just be a session variable, but data that is forever assigned to the user.

I'm not sure if I'm making the problem clear, but I'd like to have it so that the first time the app is used from a new phone a unique user guid is created in an apigeedatabase. Everytime after that, I would like to store data based on that user guid, unless they choose to clear the data.

Matthew Dobson

May 8, 2013, 3:29:28 PM5/8/13
to app-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jonas,

Thanks for coming to App Craft! I'm curious how your app will be structured? If users of your app can maintain an internet connection managing user profiles is pretty easy to do with Apigee. No device based storage needed. If you want to pursue the 1 device 1 user route take a look at the HTML5 localStorage API (nice docs found here: http://diveintohtml5.info/storage.html). You can use browser localStorage to store the uuid we create for your user object, and check for it when your app is opened. If the uuid exists in localStorage then you let them proceed, and if not ask them to register.

-Matt

Jonas Persson

May 8, 2013, 7:24:14 PM5/8/13
to app-...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

Local Storage seems like a great approach- exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

Jonas

Matthew Dobson

May 9, 2013, 10:00:43 AM5/9/13
to app-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Be sure to let us know what you build :)

-Matt