Questions about Apigee services

Johan Chouquet

May 24, 2013, 9:54:39 PM5/24/13
to app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Perhaps it's obvious, but I'm not quite sure : does Apigee provide ways to have a Backend server behind the API and the data collections ? I mean : is it possible to add some custom code (with Node.js for example) ?
I'm wondering that because in the last Webinar, it was a simple example of an API. It was great and it helped me a lot to understand the basics. But does Apigee handle pagination, versioning of APIs, partial responses (from : http://pages.apigee.com/rs/apigee/images/api-design-ebook-2012-03.pdf) ?

Thank you very much,
Johan

Clyde Byrd

May 25, 2013, 12:11:00 AM5/25/13
to app-...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean like collection pagination? If so, yes you can find how to here :http://apigee.com/docs/usergrid/content/javascript-html5-sdk

For backend, I don't think they have that capability built in, because I think relieving the developer of that hassle is one of the reasons to use an mBaas, you can probably add that in yourself though. I'm new to most web development/app development so I'm not 100 on that.

Not to throw apigee on the bus, but if you need custom backend control,feedHenry, another mBaas, does a decent job on allowing the developer to write a custom backend if they want too. They are free too, but the documentation is really outdated and support is lacking, along with the forums, but if you really wanted to make it work you can, some of their cloud api docs are outdated, but they still work if you realize what they updated.

Apigee is a lot easier to work with though, with the direct calls to the backend.

Not sure about the rest though.

Hope that helps somewhat, if at all.

Johan Chouquet

May 25, 2013, 10:12:52 AM5/25/13
to app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you. Indeed, it helps me a little. I'm trying to find the "right" set of services for the app I'm building.

Matthew Dobson

Jun 4, 2013, 9:11:03 AM6/4/13
to app-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Johan!

Thanks for your question. If I understand you correctly we currently don't have a way to build a custom backend system on the App Services platform itself. However we do have a Node.js SDK! If you are familiar with some of the Node.js proxy systems you can build a proxy that sends the bulk of API calls directly to App Services, and you can include custom server side processing for the other API calls you want to do so for.

-Matt

Amir Moghimi

Jun 5, 2013, 12:39:04 AM6/5/13
to app-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

Does Apigee App Services provide a way to host the Node.js proxy developed by us or we need to host it on our own platform?
And by any chance, do you know of an open source sample of such a proxy somewhere?

Thanks,
Amir