April Newsletter

Beth Terroni

Apr 4, 2012, 11:40:31 PM4/4/12
to apo-sec...@googlegroups.com, presid...@apor3.org, aposecti...@googlegroups.com
Hey Brothers,

I know all of you are super busy with the end of your semesters quickly approaching but I wanted to send you an update on all things going on at the National and Sectional level.

This weekend the Zeta Phi Chapter will celebrate it's 3rd Annual Zeta Phi Weekend Entitled, "True Life: Im a Zeta Phi Bruh".
The four day weekend will begin on Thursday April 5, 2012 and will end on Sunday April 8, 2012. The registration fee of $15.48 will cover your food costs for both the Banquet and Cookout! We are asking that all Brothers Register by Thursday April 5, 2012!

Reminder: All Nominations for the Chapter DSK are due by Wednesday April 4, 2012 at 10pm! Please send all Nominations to zetaphi...@gmail.com

Weekend Order of Events

-Thursday April 5, 2012
      Initiation Ceremony
      Carnegie Hall (Howard University Main Campus)
      7:25pm
      (Business Casual Attire Required)

-Friday April 6, 2012
      The Famous Zeta Phi Death March/ Probate
      Beginning @ The Russell A. Dixon School of Dentistry
      2400 Sixth Street, NW, Washington, DC 20059
      8:48pm

-Saturday April 7, 2012
      DePHIned Distinction Awards Ceremony and Banquet
      Carnegie Hall (Howard University Main Campus)
      5:48pm

-Sunday April 8, 2012
      Celebratory Cook-Out
      Residence of Brother John Saulters
      2320 North Capitol St, NW Washington DC
 Below is the link to the Registration Form for Zeta Phi Weekend
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGZZcTN1ZFBqcG5uZmM1V0VtWmRucVE6MQ

Below is the PayPal Link for Registration Payment
If you have any questions please feel free to email zetaphi...@gmail.com or call Darrell Jones at (443) 910-1102, Jasmine Dailey at (915) 497-2546

National Youth Service Day is the weekend of April 20th-22nd
Any project done with youth during the spring can count.  I know that each of you work in various capacities with youth so you should all have projects to report.

Congratulations to Mu Alpha and Theta Chi chapters who received National Youth Service Grants!

Final APO Impacts of the Semester
Wednesday April 11th- Officer Transition
Monday, April 16th- Graduating Seniors

John Mack Scholarships- Applications Due May 1st
These scholarships can be use for graduate school as well!  Who does't need money?!? Apply!
For more information go to http://www.apo.org/articles/show/68

Epsilon Mu will celebrate its 65th Anniversary of its chartering the weekend of May 4th-6th.  More information can be found at http://www.apo-em.org/65thanniversary.htm

CAPS
As your semesters draw to a close many of your chapters will be holding their Chapter Assessment and Planning Session (CAPS).  Please remember to fill out the CAPS report form at http://www.apo.org/show/National_Programs/Leadership/CAPS/Report_Form.  This is a requirement for the Chapter of Excellence Award.

Graduating Seniors Wanted

If you are a graduating senior, please consider becoming an APO LEADS Presenter. Completing basic skills training and course content training is required for all presenters. Please check thewiki site for more information!

Nominations for the Fall 2012 Pledge Class Namesake are now being excepted
Complete nominations must be received in the National Office no later than May 1, 2012. Electronic submissions may be made to executive...@apo.org. Nominations may be made by any Alpha Phi Omega Brother or group (Chapter, recognized Alumni Association, etc.) To be complete, a nomination must include the following information presented in this order:
  • An introductory cover letter signed by the individual or authorized representative of the group making the nomination
  • A brief biographical sketch of the individual or description of the organization being nominated and its work
  • Current contact information for the nominee, including address, telephone number(s) and e-mail address (if applicable), and contact name if nominee is a group or organization
  • A listing of the nominee's actions, accomplishments and life experiences that reflect the Fraternity's Cardinal Principles, and how those items indicate or demonstrate that the criteria have been met
  • Any additional information or comments the nominator wishes the committee to consider
  • Current contact information for the nominator, including telephone number(s) and e-mail address. For nominations submitted by chapters or other groups of people, names and contact information must be included for at least two representatives.

Volunteer for the 2013 BSA Jamboree

Section 85 logo contest
Let's show some Section 85 pride by creating a new Section 85 logo! The logo will be used on all things Section 85 (twitter account, Facebook page, website, pinterest account, and newsletters).  The winner of the contest will receive an APO greek letter of their choosing.  Email your logos to me in a jpeg format by August 1st.  I will then create a way for you all to vote on which design should be the winner.

New look to the Section 85 newsletter coming this summer! Its going to be fancy once I figure out how to use MailChimp.  Also over the summer the section staff will be updating the Section 85 list serve so be on a look out for an email to update your information.

Other Grants
Friendship and Retention Grant is a grant given out by the National Fraternity to help fund an event to build stronger bonds of friendship within your chapter so that the chapter can retain more of its members.  More information can be found at http://www.apo.org/show/National_Programs/Membership_and_Extension/Friendship_and_Retention
Even though the Youth Service Grants have already been given out by the National Fraternity for the year there are other grants that your chapters can apply to receive.
State Farm Service-Learning Grant: http://www.statefarmyab.com/apply/

Follow Section 85 on Twitter @aposection85
Visit the Section 85 website at 85.apor3.org
Section 85 is on Pinterest! I hope to make this a one stop shop of important links as well as interest links on various topics.  If there are any websites or articles that you would like to share please email me the link and I'll put them up.

Sorry for the overload of information! Let me know if you have any questions about anything.

In LFS,
Beth

Beth Terroni
Section 85 Chair
Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Fraternity
BTerro...@gmail.com
(610)717-2449