Unable to understand the IPOPT output(IMODE=6)

Sushanth B Mullangi

Sep 3, 2021, 12:10:05 PM9/3/21
to apmonitor
Respected Sir,
I am using gekko optimization tool to control a self -driving-car(level 2 autonomous) using Model Predictive Control(MPC) which is IMODE=6.

Firstly,
I am unable to understand the outputs(which i get when i give "Disp=True")
I have attached a screenshot for your reference.
Screenshot (359).png

Secondly after the optimization ,The value of the Manipulated Variable(MV) which is input to the car in my case(throttle and steering angle ) remains zero .
Thus the car is not moving !  I dont why this is happening

Sir please help me resolve this issue.
I would be very grateful to you if you could help me .

Note:
I have used Kinematic Bicycle Model to model the vehicle

Thank you,
Sushanth BM

John Hedengren

Sep 3, 2021, 12:44:17 PM9/3/21
to APM Google Groups
Here is an explanation of IPOPT solver columns: https://apmonitor.com/wiki/index.php/Main/OptionApmSolver and a more detailed explanation in the IPOPT documentation: https://coin-or.github.io/Ipopt/OUTPUT.html  If the solver does not converge to a solution then you should not trust the predictions (such as throttle=0 and steering_angle=0).

Here are suggestions for dealing with an unsuccessful solution:

Please search or post to StackOverflow for future questions so that questions and responses are easier to find for others.

Thanks,
John Hedengren

APMonitor user's group e-mail list.

Best regards,

John Hedengren
GEKKO Optimization Suite

wcottee

Sep 15, 2021, 3:34:31 PM9/15/21
to apmo...@googlegroups.com

I had a similar problem where the MV’s were zero. I changed their status to “1” and that fixed it. The default value is zero so the solver won’t change them.