Water/steam thermodynamic properties from GEKKO

sushilch...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2021, 8:33:23 AM6/10/21
to apmonitor
Is there an implementation of steam tables available from APMonitor/GEKKO? I have seen the Chemical library, with functions to access temperature independent and temperature dependent properties. However, I am not able to figure out how to use it to get enthalpy of superheated steam at a given temperature and pressure. I work in the area of thermal power plant modeling, and need access the thermodynamic properties (enthalpy, entropy, dryness fraction,..) at various points in the Rankine cycle, primarily as a function of temperature and pressure.
Best regards
Sushil Cherian

John Hedengren

Jun 10, 2021, 2:52:55 PM6/10/21
to apmo...@googlegroups.com

Sushil,

There are pure component properties for water (liquid / vapor) with the thermo objects:

https://apmonitor.com/wiki/index.php/Main/Compounds

If you have an existing steam table in code then you could use a CSPLINE if it is only a temperature dependency or a BSPLINE if there is temperature and pressure dependency. A thermo package such as coolprop could be used to generate data with the c-spline:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62832981/gekko-and-coolprop

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65615221/issue-with-gekko-bspline-for-coolprop-data-in-two-phase-region

If you any of these routes and run into issues, please post your code with a question to Stack Overflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/gekko

-John Hedengren