OP Oscillating?

ayub.i....@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2021, 6:34:41 PM6/15/21
to apmonitor
Hi,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question.

I was wondering if it is usually normal for the OP to oscillate? Please see the figure below. This is through a simulation, and I been following the PI Controller information on apmonitor.com. Any advice that would help me decrease the oscillation would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Figure1.png

John Hedengren

Jun 15, 2021, 6:59:11 PM6/15/21
to apmo...@googlegroups.com
Great question Ayub. There is a tradeoff between performance and controller aggressiveness. That response wouldn't be good if the actuator could wear out from overuse such as a valve. Here is an example of improving PID performance with modeling and optimization: https://youtu.be/0LiNb_MEXmQ

Moura Oliveira, P.B., Hedengren, J.D., Pires, E.J.S., Swarm-Based design of Proportional Integral and Derivative Controllers using a Compromise Cost Function: An Arduino Temperature Laboratory Case Study, Special Issue: Algorithms for PID Controller, Algorithms, 13(12), 315, DOI: 10.3390/a13120315, 2020. Article

Taysom, S., Hedengren, J.D., Sorensen, C., A Comparison of Model Predictive Control and PID Temperature Control in Friction Stir Welding, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 29, pp. 232-241, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.jmapro.2017.07.015. Article

Park, J., Patterson, C., Kelly, J., Hedengren, J.D., Closed-Loop PID Re-Tuning in a Digital Twin By Re-Playing Past Setpoint and Load Disturbance Data, AIChE Spring Meeting, New Orleans, LA, April 2019. Abstract

Many other researchers and practitioners have come up with suggestions for tuning PID controllers. There are ITAE and IMC approaches in the control course: https://apmonitor.com/pdc

John Hedengren
Associate Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering
Brigham Young University

Jun 15, 2021, 8:34:36 PM6/15/21
to apmo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dr. Hedengren,

Thanks for the resources, but I am still a little confused. I am simulating one heater as mentioned here, where I used the simplified IMC tuning method (deadtime = 0) as mentioned here. I figured using the moderate tuning method would minimize the oscillation, unless it is okay that the actuator (the heater) oscillates? Maybe I can try a more conservative tuning or try ITAE tuning to see if that is a better option than the moderate IMC tuning?

Ayub Lakhani

--
Very Respectfully,

SPC Lakhani, Ayub
Phone: 7148755098

John Hedengren

Jun 15, 2021, 8:36:20 PM6/15/21
to APM Google Groups
Ayub,

Try using a derivative filter or else no derivative term (D=0) as with a PI controller: https://apmonitor.com/pdc/index.php/Main/ProportionalIntegralControl The derivative term can amplify measurement noise and it can create a chattering OP.

-John Hedengren

--
Best regards,

John Hedengren