APOPT References

Rafael Pavan

Nov 21, 2021, 10:17:30 AM11/21/21
to apmonitor
Dear John,

My name is Rafael and I'm MSc student in São Paulo State University (Brazil). I've been solving energy systems optimization problems (MINLP/NLP) using the GEKKO package (solvers APOPT and IPOPT) and evolutionary computing.

However, until now, I didn't find any articles, videos or websites that could give me information about the mathematical details from the APOPT solver.

I've read so far:

  • Hedengren, J. D. and Asgharzadeh Shishavan, R., Powell, K.M., and Edgar, T.F., Nonlinear Modeling, Estimation and Predictive Control in APMonitor, Computers and Chemical Engineering, Volume 70, pg. 133–148, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.compchemeng.2014.04.013. https://apmonitor.com/wiki/index.php/Main/APMonitorReferences  (see preprint link at the top and Section 7, Figure 8 in the paper).

  • Beal, L.D.R., Hill, D., Martin, R.A., and Hedengren, J. D., GEKKO Optimization Suite, Processes, Volume 6, Number 8, 2018, doi: 10.3390/pr6080106.

  • Wikipedia (APOPT)

I only know that it uses Branch and Bound with Active-Set Sequential Quadratic Programming.

In order to properly cite the solver in my thesis (with a comprehensive explanation about how it works) I would like to know if you have more detailed references about the APOPT or could indicate me other references/books/articles that have further explanations about the Active-Set SQP algorithm that the solver uses to solve the NLP problems.

Best Regards,

Rafael.

John Hedengren

Nov 22, 2021, 1:06:39 PM11/22/21