Future of APML?

bcmoney

Dec 14, 2010, 1:12:56 AM12/14/10
to APML.Public.General
We're approaching the end of 2010, and the official start of a new
decade. Just wondering what the future plans are for APML in the new
year? Will it die, will it be spun into or extended with other ongoing
efforts in the "Behavioral data" category that enjoy some strong
momentum (i.e. ActivityStrea.ms, PubSubHubbub, etc)

How about wish lists for 2011 and beyond? One that I can think of is
an even simpler AJAX library (perhaps using JSON) with matrix
visualizations of attention profiles in a "hip" new framework like
processing or jquery.

In particular, my biggest wish is that the Open Web community in
general could do a better job at reusing existing standards like this
one (learning from past mistakes/experiences) and not reinvent the
wheel.

We should also do more to clarify use-cases for technologies, here's
where I see a content-based grouping coming in handy:

NEWS
OPML (for subscription profiles), RSS (for publishing)

AUDIO
XSPF, Podcast (iTunes), mRSS

VIDEO
XSPF, Video Sitemap, mRSS

MULTIMEDIA EMBEDDING
oEmbed

SEARCH
OpenSearch

WESITES/INFO LAYOUT
Sitemap

PEOPLE
Microformats, FOAF

GROUPS
SIOC

DISCUSSION
Atom

ACTIVITIES
ActivityStrea.ms

INTERESTS
APML

AUTHENTICATION
OpenID

AUTHORIZATION
OAuth

DISCOVERY
XRD, Hammer Stack, etc...

SERVICES
SOAP, REST

Did I miss any?
I'll be working on the new OpenRecommender initiative in 2011 onwards
on building a content/service recommendation engine, so this hopefully
explains why I'm trying to categorize what's already been done.

Thieme Hennis

Dec 14, 2010, 8:59:46 AM12/14/10
to apml-...@googlegroups.com

see below. I welcome any feedback.

have a nice December.

--
I just finished developing a first model to generate reputation profiles in a highly contextualized way. See the attached PDF. Please do not quote or cite: it is not published (yet).

Something that is being developed at the Free University in Amsterdam is the weighted interest algorithm and standard. They do an interesting project with the BBC. http://www.cs.vu.nl/~laroyo

see more on the Hypios VoCamp 2010:  http://vocamp.org/wiki/HypiosVoCampParisMay2010

User (weighted) Interests Ontology

Related Ontologies: IMO e-foaf WI

[edit] Use case 1

We want to be able to express user's interest in a more rich way, by also including the importance of a certain topic of interest, and we want to express contextual information about time when the interest appeared, as well as the evidences that lead to the conclusion about the appearance of a certain user interest.

[edit] Use case 2

We want to be able to state that some interests (like interests in people, companies, etc.) imply the user's willingness to be informed about the updates related to the object of interest (person, product, company, etc.) in a certain context.

[edit] Original WI implementation

original WI

[edit] basis
[edit]

2010.10.28 - Hennis, Lukosch, Veen IGI chapter rec-rep systems in p2p learning - final.pdf

Matthias Pfefferle

Dec 14, 2010, 9:05:37 AM12/14/10
to APML.Public.General
I still love the idea of apml 1.0 as an atom-subset (like we
brainstormed in google-wave).
> Something that is being developed at the Free University in Amsterdam is the weighted interest algorithm and standard. They do an interesting project with the BBC.http://www.cs.vu.nl/~laroyo
>
> see more on the Hypios VoCamp 2010:http://vocamp.org/wiki/HypiosVoCampParisMay2010
> User (weighted) Interests Ontology
> Related Ontologies: IMO e-foaf WI
> [edit] Use case 1
> We want to be able to express user's interest in a more rich way, by also including the importance of a certain topic of interest, and we want to express contextual information about time when the interest appeared, as well as the evidences that lead to the conclusion about the appearance of a certain user interest.
> [edit] Use case 2
> We want to be able to state that some interests (like interests in people, companies, etc.) imply the user's willingness to be informed about the updates related to the object of interest (person, product, company, etc.) in a certain context.
> [edit] Original WI implementation
> original WI
>
> [edit] basis  WI ontology:http://xmlns.notu.be/wi/(dated 24 December 2009)  IMO:http://rdfs.org/imo/ns e-foaf:http://wiki.larkc.eu/e-foaf:interest[edit]
>

> > --
>

>  2010.10.28 - Hennis, Lukosch, Veen IGI chapter rec-rep systems in p2p learning - final.pdf
> 1453KAnzeigenHerunterladen

Chris Saad

Dec 14, 2010, 11:59:51 AM12/14/10
to apml-...@googlegroups.com
I believe APML still has a very important role to play but it will need a concrete use case to help clarify the spec and wide scale deployment to kick start it's adoption.

I've not been in a position to focus on either in my current role and focus unfortunately. But this may change next year. If someone else on this list is in such a position, however, please do speak up!

Chris

Chris Saad
VP Strategy, Echo
646 797 2890

Free/Busy Time
 -
@chrissaad

scottw

Dec 17, 2010, 6:50:25 AM12/17/10
to APML.Public.General
Its a pity attention wasn't something that came up in the context of
the W3C Social Web report:

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/FinalReport

I think Chris is right that we really do need a concrete use-case -
and implementers that want to drive adoption. Right now I'm not sure
if its a good time to "reboot" APML.

One possible route could be to develop an APML API module as part of
Shindig/OpenSocial or W3C DAP so that there is a mechanism for social
and mobile applications to access APML data in their host networks.