Perfomance question

mehmet...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2019, 1:28:59 AM8/7/19
to Apilio
Dear All,
I'm trying to activate my back yard lights (My Leviton switch) when there motion captured with Blink XT2 Camera.

I did follow through and I have successfully created the routine. When motion is detected, then I come to Apilio, then check if my boolean variable says it's dark (at one point I added a variable "is the light on") and if there is motion and if it's dark then I turn on the lights.
There is a seeded IFTTT Blink action that turns on the switch, no day/night parameter though.

I use this for security, and I want the light to go on as quickly as possible.

I realized that there is a second or two delay between the two actions. I assume there are round trips between apilio and IFTTT and it could be the cause of that.

Would it be a horrible idea to go ahead and turn on the lights no matter what if there is movement. Send a turn on commande to my leviton 24 hours a day.
Then as the switch is turned on, I already wrote something that will see the last motion time and will turn off the lights 2 mins after that.
I can add another call when the lights are turned on, and switch in 10-15 seconds regardless of motion if it's day.

Will this be a terrible idea?  Or forget about day or night go ahead and turn the lights on or off.  We probably will not be running the motion detection during most day hours anyway.

Not sure if I am being paranoid, or is the time delay expected and normal.  If it is, I believe few seconds are pretty important for the intruder to see the lights coming on and run away. :)

thanks.

Philipp

Aug 8, 2019, 8:54:44 AM8/8/19
to Apilio
Hi Mehmet,
the delays you are seeing is normal - I would even say I have seen worse numbers.
The delay added by Apilio (getting request, doing the logic, queuing for outgoing) is usually around 2 seconds. The rest is from the communication between the various clouds involved and the IFTTT internal processing time.

For your implementation variations: I'd say you could do all options.

Cheers
Philipp