Aggregating reputation from multiple services as the solution to trust issues

Kusti

Jan 11, 2012, 10:46:41 AM1/11/12
to API for sharing
Hey guys,

Time to break the long silence here. :) I wrote a Sharing API -related
article on Shareable, this time more focused on trust and reputation.
I know that there are some guys here who have some work with
reputation systems, at least Adam, Dan and Peter. I'd love to hear
thoughts and contributions from all of you!

Here's the article: http://www.shareable.net/blog/aggregation-not-algorithms-is-the-key-to-building-trust

Cheers,
Juho

Dan

Jan 12, 2012, 2:47:58 AM1/12/12
to api-for...@googlegroups.com

Hey mate, I love the challenges that your articles lay down, and in this case controversy.

I agree with your sentiments, and with Hans, in that reputation required can be so context dependent that on occasion it can make even aggregation not useful if its not broad enough.

e.g. if you are deciding to lend to some thing to some one for free on a gift culture website, the question isn't just will the item be returned in good condition, but it may also be how has the requestor contributed to the community? An Ebay rating isn't useful for that.

Guess that's why aggregating across a range of different services is ideal, as you suggest :)

Sent from a mobile device.