We can’t let these bills languish on the Governor’s desk

Anthony Ng

Sep 24, 2019, 1:56:19 PM9/24/19
Please call and tweet the Governor in support of the three bills below. Thanks!

Anthony Ng
Pronouns: He, Him, His
Policy Manager, Immigrant Rights
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Los Angeles

1145 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90017
T: (213) 977-7500 (213) 977-7500 x 238
F: (213) 977-7595
advancingjustice-la.org
Building upon the legacy of the
Asian Pacific American Legal Center

Dear Anthony,

The California legislative cycle is drawing to a close in the next month, and Governor Newsom is currently considering which bills to sign into law and which to veto.

Asian Americans Advancing Justice - California, a joint project of Advancing Justice - Asian Law Caucus and Advancing Justice - Los Angeles, sponsored three bills that are essential to the future of our state: AB 849 (Bonta), AB 1282 (Kalra), and AB 1391 (Bonta). These bills are currently sitting on Governor Newsom’s desk. Help strengthen California’s democracy and urge Governor Newsom to sign the bills into law:

AB 849 (Bonta) - FAIR MAPS Act
AB 849 would reform California’s city and county redistricting laws to improve criteria, transparency, and public engagement. These reforms will result in a redistricting process that is fairer to California’s diverse communities, minimizes the possibility of gerrymandering, and brings voices that are often overlooked into our state’s redistricting process.

AB 1282 (Kalra) - No Private ICE Act
Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) depends on private prison corporations like G4S to carry out its extensive enforcement operations in California, despite the fact that these employees lack the legal authority to do so. AB 1282 would prohibit California’s state prison system from facilitating or allowing private security firms to detain and transport individuals for immigration enforcement purposes.

AB 1391 (Bonta) - Language Access in Voting Awareness Act
AB 1391 would increase awareness of the availability of translated voting materials for California’s limited-English proficient (LEP) voters. By providing more opportunities to select a language preference other than English, these reforms will increase access and participation in the most fundamental part of our democracy.

Here’s how you can ensure that they’re signed into law by October 1st:

Email the Governor’s Office
We’ve put together an email portal to help you make your voice heard. Click here to email Governor Newsom now.

Tweet Governor Newsom
Contact the Governor at @GavinNewsom and urge him to sign these bills into law. Include hashtags #AB849, #AB1282, and #AB1391!

Click here to email Governor Newsom.

We’re proud to support these bills in order to address the real-world needs of our communities. California’s strength is rooted in its people - and driven by bold advocates like you. Thank you for taking action today and helping to build a better California.

In community,

Liza Chu
California Policy Manager
Asian Americans Advancing Justice - California

P.S. Stay tuned for an update on October 14th on these bills!

Prefer to advance justice in a different way?

Donate

Follow Us

Contact Us

Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Los Angeles
213-977-7500
in...@advancingjustice-la.org

Unsubscribe