LA Justice Fund 2021 Advocacy -- sign-on letter for LA City

Shiu-Ming Cheer

Dec 8, 2020, 11:35:46 AM12/8/20
to ice-ou...@googlegroups.com, Sanctuary LB, API FIRE

Hi all,

I hope you’re all doing well. It has been some time since we last connected about the LA Justice Fund, but here we are again, ready to jump into advocacy for the coming year.

Would your organization be willing to sign-on to a letter to urge LA City Council and the Mayor to make the LA Justice Fund (LAJF) a permanent program with dedicated multi-year funding?  Here is a link to the letter, itself, and a form to sign-on to the letter.  Please sign on no later than 10am next Monday, December 14th.

Feel free to share this letter with other advocates that might be interested in signing.

As you know, LAJF provides funding for detention and deportation defense for individuals caught up in the immigration system.  This past year, LA City Council acted to renew the program for one year, but declined to make it a permanent program moving beyond that, instead opting for a wait-and-see approach.  While we all feel some relief that we will be seeing a new administration in January, the reality is that critical challenges continue to lie ahead for the immigrant community. Hundreds of Angelenos continue to be in immigration detention without access to counsel during a pandemic, putting their lives and safety in danger. At the same time, we must recognize that while some relief for our immigrant communities could  be on the horizon, many of our community members are already facing deportation  and need representation now.

As long as we have an immigration system that continues to be based on a racist policing and detention system, immigrant communities will continue needing this critical program.  Hence, we need to ensure that this program -- critical to advancing the safety of Angelenos -- continues. We hope that your organization is able to sign-on to this letter.

Thank you!

Shiu Ming

Shiu-Ming Cheer

(pronouns: she/her/hers)

Director of Movement Building & Strategic Partnerships

National Immigration Law Center

Los Angeles, CA

(o) 213.674.2833

(c) 213.235.8269

ch...@nilc.org

Shiu-Ming Cheer

Dec 14, 2020, 12:51:45 PM12/14/20
to ice-ou...@googlegroups.com, Sanctuary LB, API FIRE

Hi,

This is a reminder about signing onto the LAJF linked to below.

We can extend the sign on deadline to later today if that’s helpful.

Thanks!

Shiu Ming

Sent from my iPhone