Sign on to Letter Ending Transfers to ICE! (deadline Fri 12pm)

Shiu-Ming Cheer

Feb 25, 2020, 7:16:06 PM2/25/20
to ice-ou...@googlegroups.com, la-county-coalition-for-...@googlegroups.com, active-la-justi...@googlegroups.com, Sanctuary LB, API FIRE

Hi all,

I’m reaching out on behalf of an intersectional group of organizations regarding this letter to the Board of Supervisors, which we plan to submit on Friday, 2/28.  If you are able to sign on to the letter, we would love the support of your organization.  If you can sign on by noon on Friday, please let us know simply by replying to me.  I apologize for the tight turnaround.

In a nutshell, the County has allowed the Sheriff’s Department to spend about $1.5 million a year to further ICE deportations and family separation right here in Los Angeles—all while the County has also invested the same amount, $1.5 million a year, in the LA Justice Fund in order to defend families against ICE deportations and family separation.  It makes no sense.  In fact, we’ve come across story after story of people handed over to ICE by the Sheriff’s Department who were then represented through the Los Angeles Justice Fund in their fight to remain here with their families.

We are asking the Board to prohibit the Sheriff’s Department’s use of County resources to hand over anyone to ICE—unless ICE can get a judicial warrant (which they rarely do).  Also, ICE—whether ICE agents or private contractors working on behalf of ICE—should have no access to the county jails.

The letter is attached, I hope that you can sign on!

Shiu-Ming

Shiu-Ming Cheer

(pronouns: she/her/hers)

Director of Movement Building & Strategic Partnerships

National Immigration Law Center

Los Angeles, CA

(o) 213.674.2833

(c) 213.235.8269

ch...@nilc.org

Zero ICE Transfers sign on letter (final).pdf