Turnout for the TRUTH Act Forum on Tuesday!

Shiu-Ming Cheer

Oct 25, 2019, 12:00:50 AM10/25/19
to ice-ou...@googlegroups.com, Sanctuary LB, API FIRE, lasd-c...@googlegroups.com, Carmen Chang

Turnout to the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday!

At Tuesday’s Board of Supervisors meeting, a TRUTH Act Community Forum will be held.  As you know, the Sheriff’s Department has been transferring people over to ICE for years, and providing notification to ICE about people’s release dates.

We will have a chance to provide public comment after the Sheriff’s Department’s presentation on their entanglement with ICE.  Turn out to demand that they end all entanglement with ICE!

Date:                     Tuesday, 10/29

Time:                     10-12:30pm (it is agenda item #50 and we expect it to be

called around 10:30am, although it may be called earlier or later)

Address:             Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration

500 W Temple St

Los Angeles, CA 90012

Let me know if you can make it. Talking points will be shared with you beforehand or at the Board of Supervisors.

Shiu-Ming

Shiu-Ming Cheer

(pronouns: she/her/hers)

Senior Staff Attorney & Field Coordinator

National Immigration Law Center

3435 Wilshire Bl. Suite 1600

Los Angeles, CA 90010

(o) 213.674.2833

(c) 213.235.8269

ch...@nilc.org

Shiu-Ming Cheer

Oct 29, 2019, 10:41:43 AM10/29/19
to ice-ou...@googlegroups.com, Sanctuary LB, API FIRE, lasd-c...@googlegroups.com, Carmen Chang

Hi everyone,

A reminder that the TRUTH Act forum will be held at the Board of Supervisors this morning.  This is a forum required under state law when law enforcement is collaborating with ICE.  We expect the Sheriff’s Department to present data that they are supposedly transferring fewer people to ICE.

During public comment we will have an opportunity to dispute that data (which the Sheriff’s Department has not shared with advocates or government officials) as well as to make the point that the Sheriff’s Department should not be entangled with ICE/ICE contractors at all, period.

Attached are the talking points that Andres wrote up.  There are also sample tweets in the document. If you’re not able to make it to the Board please tweet out.

See you soon,

Shiu-Ming

Shiu-Ming Cheer

(pronouns: she/her/hers)

Senior Staff Attorney & Field Coordinator

National Immigration Law Center

3435 Wilshire Bl. Suite 1600

Los Angeles, CA 90010

(o) 213.674.2833

(c) 213.235.8269

ch...@nilc.org

TRUTH Act talking points 10.29.19.docx

Shiu-Ming Cheer

Oct 30, 2019, 3:13:24 PM10/30/19
to ice-ou...@googlegroups.com, Sanctuary LB, API FIRE, lasd-c...@googlegroups.com, Carmen Chang

Hi,

A shout out to those who attended the Board of Sups meeting yesterday – Phal, Amelia, Carolina, Robyn, Andres, Victor, Zack, Rahel, Mario and others – and provided public comment.  Thanks to those who supported by tweeting and spreading the word.

The Sheriff’s Dept presented 3 minimal slides (attached) on their entanglement with ICE. They didn’t share any of their 2019 stats.  It was very lackluster and continues their trend of not sharing data and misrepresenting info.

Through public comment we made the case for the Board taking strong action to get the Sheriff to disentangle from ICE.  Several orgs sent a follow up letter to the Board outlining why we think Board should prohibit the Sheriff’s Department’s use of county resources in its entanglement with ICE.

Shiu Ming

Shiu-Ming Cheer

(pronouns: she/her/hers)

Senior Staff Attorney & Field Coordinator

National Immigration Law Center

3435 Wilshire Bl. Suite 1600

Los Angeles, CA 90010

(o) 213.674.2833