SEED Sign-On Letter: Support Inclusion of Undocumented Immigrants in CA Economic Recovery

1 view

BETTY HUNG

Apr 1, 2020, 4:26:56 PM4/1/20
to anthony ng, BETTY HUNG
Dear Friends,

With the COVID-19 crisis and the exclusion of undocumented immigrants in the federal relief bill, it is imperative that undocumented immigrants in California have access to immediate relief and that undocumented immigrants be included in the state's economic relief and recovery efforts in the coming months and years.

Please sign on to our organizational letter to Governor Newsom urging him to include undocumented immigrants in upcoming economic recovery efforts by preserving the SEED Initiative.

In the Governor's proposed budget released in January, $10 million was allocated for the SEED Initiative, which would provide entrepreneurial training, micro grants, and technical assistance for immigrants --  especially those who are undocumented and Limited English Proficient (LEP). The purpose is to provide immigrants, including those who lack work authorization or are at risk of losing their work authorization (e.g., DACA, TPS), with support to start small businesses as a way to make a living. These funds would be distributed by the UCLA Labor Center to community based organizations to provide these services.

Given the impact of COVID-19 on the state budget, we are trying to ensure that the SEED Initiative is preserved, especially since it will be a critical way for undocumented immigrants to be included in the state's economic recovery efforts.

We have drafted an organizational sign-on letter to the Governor urging him to preserve the SEED Initiative in the budget to ensure that undocumented immigrants are included in California's economic recovery efforts. Please show your support and fill out this form by 12 p.m. this Friday, April 3.

If you have any questions, please contact Betty Hung at bett...@ucla.edu or Anthony Ng at an...@ucla.edu.

Thank you!

Best,
Betty

--

Betty Hung, Esq.
Staff Director

UCLA Labor Center

Institute for Research on Labor and Employment

bett...@ucla.edu| (323) 359-1187 (cell)

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on  Facebook

Sign Up for Email Updates | Support Our Work