LAJF/universal rep letter: Sign-On Today

Shiu-Ming Cheer

Jan 6, 2020, 7:20:23 PM1/6/20
to ice-ou...@googlegroups.com, API FIRE, Sanctuary LB

Hi All,

In case you haven’t already, please sign your org onto this letter urging the Mayor and City Councilmembers to renew the LA Justice Fund (LAJF) by June 2020.  Here is the link to the letter, so you can review it.  If possible, we would appreciate your sign-on by tomorrow, Jan. 7th

As you may already be aware, the LAJF was a 2-year initiative created in 2017 as a public/private partnership (between the City, County, and Philanthropy).  Its purpose was to provide funds for legal representation for Angelenos in detention and deportation proceedings -- a way to fight back against this Administration's cruel and inhumane immigration policies, targeting our immigrant communities and tearing apart families.

As it stands now, the LAJF funds have lapsed given that 2 years have already passed.  But, the program must continue.  Unfortunately, the Mayor and City Council spent 2019 finding ways to avoid or delay having to renew it.  Now, as we head into 2020, we must underscore the absolute urgency and moral imperative to recommit, renew, and protect our immigrant communities.  Hence, we -- the organizations who originally came together in 2017 to fight for LA to be a sanctuary city and to establish the LAJF -- are coming to you and asking for your help to get this done by June 2020.

In case you are wondering, we have a separate advocacy effort ongoing with the County, where progress is much better.  But for now, we need to focus attention on the City.  So, please let me know if you are able to sign-on to the letter or you can sign on through this link - http://bit.ly/SignOnLAJF2020

(Also, a preview of what is next -- we will be sending out a social media toolkit for signatories to use on the day we submit the letter, which will be on Jan. 9th.)

Thank you,

Shiu Ming

Shiu-Ming Cheer

(pronouns: she/her/hers)

Director of Movement Building & Strategic Partnerships

National Immigration Law Center

Los Angeles, CA

(o) 213.674.2833

(c) 213.235.8269