FW: Urge LA City Council Budget Leaders To Prioritize Immigrants

Shiu-Ming Cheer

May 11, 2021, 2:37:55 PM5/11/21
to ice-ou...@googlegroups.com, API FIRE

Hi,

Please take action this week to support the LA Justice Fund!

Shiu-Ming Cheer

(pronouns: she/her/hers)

Director of Movement Building & Strategic Partnerships

National Immigration Law Center

Los Angeles, CA

(o) 213.674.2833

(c) 213.235.8269

ch...@nilc.org

From: "active-la-justi...@googlegroups.com" <active-la-justi...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Mariana Magana <mma...@chirla.org>
Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM
To: "lajf...@esperanzacommunityhousing.org" <lajf...@esperanzacommunityhousing.org>, "active-la-justi...@googlegroups.com" <active-la-justi...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Urge LA City Council Budget Leaders To Prioritize Immigrants

ACTION ALERT:

URGE LA CITY COUNCIL BUDGET LEADERS TO  PRIORITIZE IMMIGRANTS

Dear Immigrant’s Rights Advocates and allies,

The Mayor has proposed $1 million in his budget to continue the LA Justice Fund, the city’s legal safety net for immigrants, but it’s not enough to keep the Los Angeles Justice Fund alive another year and definitely not enough to help LA’s immigrant community stay together until better times return.  Luckily, Councilmember Kevin De Leon submitted an amendment that the amount is increased to $3.5 million.  So, now, it is up to us to spread the word, keep up the pressure, and make sure that this new, increased funding level holds!

(For more information on the history of LAJF and our ongoing advocacy efforts, including current challenges we face at City Council, please read this recent LA Progressive article, Will LA Fully Support Due Process For Immigrants?

 As budget negotiations are wrapping up it is critical to take action ONLINE  this week to urge LA’s City Council Budget and Finance Committee to do the right thing this coming Friday: Stand with immigrants and pass a REAL budget for the Los Angeles Justice Fund!  Therefore, we are asking you to TAKE THREE EASY STEPS NOW:

  1. ALL WEEK: Tweet And Urge City Legislators To Do The Right Thing
  2. WEDNESDAY, MAY 12TH: Send An Email To City Council Members
  3. WEDNESDAY, MAY 12TH: Submit An Online Public Comment

The social media toolkit including sample tweets, email, and public comment template can be found here.

Best,

--

Mariana Magaña Gamero

CHIRLA Policy Advocate

* My working hours may not be your working hours. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside of your normal work schedule.

Shiu-Ming Cheer

May 12, 2021, 9:22:14 PM5/12/21
to Mariana Magana, lajf...@esperanzacommunityhousing.org, active-la-justi...@googlegroups.com, ice-ou...@googlegroups.com, API FIRE

Hi all,

If you haven’t yet tweeted urging City Council members to support the LA Justice Fund, you can still do so tomorrow and Friday!

And Phal created this link that will allow you to automatically send emails directly to Budget & Finance Committee members. I did it and it only took 30 seconds to put in my name and email address. Click on this link this week to send the emails! https://tinyurl.com/supportLAJF

Shiu-Ming