Know your rights: Resources to start a business and pursue a professional career

Anthony Ng

Oct 1, 2019, 5:26:25 PM10/1/19
Hi Folks,

Sharing this resource from CIPC.

-anthony

Dear partners,

This is long overdue, but last year CIPC with its partners helped to pass AB 2184, which requires all cities and counties to accept ITINs, municipal IDs, and other forms of identification for business license applications. In 2014, CIPC with its partners helped to pass SB 1159, which prohibits the Department of Consumer Affairs from denying a professional license to an applicant based on her citizenship and immigration status.

While there is still so much work to be done, both of these bills combined are meant to support immigrants to pursue their own businesses and professional careers, and we want to make sure people know their rights!

Please share the attached fact sheets (in English and Spanish) and social media graphics far and wide. You can also find the fact sheets here at CIPC's website.

We would really love to get the fact sheets translated into additional languages, but our capacity is limited. If you are interested in helping out with this, please let me know ASAP!

Also stay tuned, because we will be partnering with Immigrants Rising on a webinar about AB 2184 and SB 1159, sharing personal stories, and answering any questions about the laws. Look out for the email in the coming weeks.

Thank you so much for all that you do, and any questions please let me know.

With gratitude,
Sasha

AB2184-Social media2.jpg
AB2184-Social media1.jpg

--

Sasha Feldstein
Economic Justice Policy Manager

AB2184-FactSheet-EN-R2.pdf
AB2184-FactSheet-SP.pdf

Anthony Ng

Oct 1, 2019, 5:41:53 PM10/1/19
CIPC and Immigrants Rising will be doing a webinar regarding this law. Please see the information below if you're interested.

UPCOMING WEBINAR:

We invite you to join us on Wednesday, October 23rd at 12:00pm PST for our webinar:

"New(ish) Rights in California: State Legislation to Support Undocumented Immigrant Entrepreneurs", led by Iliana Perez from Immigrants Rising, Sasha Feldstein from the California Immigrant Policy Center, and Alex Lawson from the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights

This webinar will review two important pieces of legislation, SB 1159 and AB 2184, that make it easier for undocumented immigrant entrepreneurs to apply for business and professional licenses. We will go over your rights and how to ensure they are respected, and will briefly discuss some of the work left to be done and how to get involved.

Check out these AB21 Facts Sheets, provided by CIPC:

English: http://bit.ly/AB2184EN

Spanish: http://bit.ly/AB2184SP

Register for the webinar here:  https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_09MJv_p3RJGc83oULR_Q1Q

Anthony Ng
Pronouns: He, Him, His
Policy Manager, Immigrant Rights
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Los Angeles

1145 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90017
T: (213) 977-7500 (213) 977-7500 x 238
F: (213) 977-7595
advancingjustice-la.org
Building upon the legacy of the