This API is only for us ?

miqui

Jan 21, 2020, 11:12:32 PM1/21/20
to API Craft
Hi, community,

So, I was wondering what percentage of APIs that are deemed "only for our application/platform/team tools" (private API?) do you think eventually becomes (promoted to?) a public API?  or a partner API?
I typically get the usual private APIs "pushback" that these types of APIs should not follow the same design guidelines as public or partner API.   Thoughts?

rgds
Miguel

Brian Blignaut

Jan 22, 2020, 5:14:21 AM1/22/20
to api-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miguel,

I unfortunately don't have a percentage for you, but I have definitely got first hand experience of this happening more than once. I think as soon as people know something is available, they want to use it, and why not! My approach to building API's is to assume it's going to be public, and design accordingly. This assumes that you have the time to do so, and have weighed up the cost/benefit of not designing it for external use.

I think if the decision is taken, for whatever reason, to not design as if it will be consumed externally, everyone is aware that if this situation does arise a rewrite will be required.

Regards
Brian

Brian Blignaut  Business Unit Lead - South Africa
Equal Experts South Africa (PTY) LTD, a company registered in South Africa with company registration number 2017/284140/07.  VAT Number: 4100284241
Registered office: Unit A073, 3rd Floor West Wing, The Palms Woodstock, 145 Sir Lowry Road, Woodstock, 7915, Cape Town

Disclaimer: The email you have received and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Equal Experts UK Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient of the email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received the email in error.

miqui

Jan 26, 2020, 9:27:09 PM1/26/20
to API Craft
hi Brian...

...thanks for your valuable feedback. I share your sentiments exactly.

rgds,
Miguel Quintero