'410 Gone' or '404 Not Found' for deprecated endpoint ?

Ikenna Nwaiwu

Feb 22, 2021, 9:57:03 AM2/22/21
to API Craft

Hello all,

I am deprecating and removing a REST endpoint. Ideally, do I

1. Return '404 Not Found' when clients hit that endpoint ?
2. Or return '410 Gone' with an IETF Deprecation Header and Link https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-dalal-deprecation-header-00.html

Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Kind regards,
Ikenna

Erik Wilde

Feb 23, 2021, 3:36:07 AM2/23/21
to api-...@googlegroups.com, Ikenna Nwaiwu
hello ikenna.

On 2021-02-22 15:57, Ikenna Nwaiwu wrote:
> I am deprecating and removing a REST endpoint. Ideally, do I
>
> 1. Return '404 Not Found' when clients hit that endpoint ?
> 2. Or return '410 Gone' with an IETF Deprecation Header and
> Link https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-dalal-deprecation-header-00.html
>
> Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

in most cases, deprecation is meant as "still operational, but not
recommended to use anymore". removing is a different thing. here's a
brief video i created a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twfufQn1mD0

cheers

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:erik....@dret.net |
| http://dret.net/netdret |

sune jakobsson

Feb 23, 2021, 6:01:55 AM2/23/21
to api-...@googlegroups.com, Ikenna Nwaiwu
410 if it is "gone" for a time period, but eventually 404. If there is an alternative, you could return 303

Sune

Ikenna Nwaiwu

Feb 23, 2021, 8:05:00 AM2/23/21
to Api-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the clarification and the video Eric 👍. Subscribed.
Thank you Sune 👍.

Kind regards,
Ikenna