GIS about Farms in Mato Grosso, Brazil

jeferodolfo

Jan 4, 2011, 3:02:41 PM1/4/11
to Alliance for Public Gardens GIS
Hello,

I am deploying a project concerning the farms in Mato Grosso. I
request the courtesy of fellow group members to access the website
below and, if possible, reporting on its performance.

http://216.93.173.154/ambientesig/projetos/matogrosso.html

Thanks in advance, attention, and I'm waiting for comments and
suggestions.

A hug to everyone.

Brian Morgan

Jan 5, 2011, 11:22:38 AM1/5/11
to ap...@googlegroups.com
I am relatively new to working with GIS web applications, but it does seem like the performance of this one is a bit slow, but certainly acceptable.  A recent course I took based on Esri products recommended caching data that did not need to be worked with on a feature by feature basis.  I think that this might work in your case, but am not sure what options are available with the Google API.  Basically, I think you want to pre-process the data to create image tiles that draw more quickly at a given scale level.  I imagine that there is information available by searching for "cache Google Maps API" or something similar.  I hope that this helps!

Brian Morgan
Alliance for Public Gardens GIS

jefe rodolfo pereira da silva

Jan 5, 2011, 11:44:16 AM1/5/11
to ap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

All vector data  is editable  all the time, on-line,  by a group people, so, I can´t to make tiles. But I will research the way to the better speed.

Thanks for attention with me.

Best regards,

2011/1/5 Brian Morgan <bjmo...@ucdavis.edu>
I am relatively new to working with GIS web applications, but it does seem like the performance of this one is a bit slow, but certainly acceptable.  A recent course I took based on Esri products recommended caching data that did not need to be worked with on a feature by feature basis.  I think that this might work in your case, but am not sure what options are available with the Google API.  Basically, I think you want to pre-process the data to create image tiles that draw more quickly at a given scale level.  I imagine that there is information available by searching for "cache Google Maps API" or something similar.  I hope that this helps!

Brian Morgan

Alliance for Public Gardens GIS

Jefe Rodolfo Silva
Analista de SIG
CONSIS-Consultoria e Sistemas Ltda.
65 3301-3276
65 8154-6830

Becky Sucher

Jan 5, 2011, 12:08:48 PM1/5/11
to ap...@googlegroups.com
I think the speed is just fine.  Usually, it takes a while to load the first time, but the second time it popped right up.  With regard to caching, you generally only want to create tiles for those features which are not going to change, like the basemap.  Since you appear to be using Google maps for your basemap, that is already taken care of.

For our web application, I created our own basemap with cache tiles at 6 different resolutions.  I run the basemap as a separate service from the other layers.  You can access the applicaton here:  http://gisng.mobot.org/MBG%20Plant%20Finder/

Becky Sucher
Missouri Botanical Garden

jefe rodolfo pereira da silva

Jan 5, 2011, 12:24:03 PM1/5/11
to ap...@googlegroups.com, rasu...@gmail.com
Hi Becky,

Thank you very much to attention with me. Your project is very nice and your tips are welcome.

Best regards,