Is 3D for me?

Michael W.

Jan 26, 2012, 9:43:34 AM1/26/12
to Alliance for Public Gardens GIS
Does anyone have any experience (comments, insights etc.) using the
Public Garden data model with "Z-awareness" ?

Also, congrats on the release of "Collection Researcher"! Very nice.

Regards, Michael Wenzel

Plant Recorder
Atlanta Botanical Garden

Brian Morgan

Jan 30, 2012, 7:38:15 PM1/30/12
to ap...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

The data model is distributed as 2D since a 3D Analyst license is required for 3D capabilities, but it could be used as a 3D model in two ways that I can think of...
  1. Assuming that you are interested in looking at certain features in 3D such as plants and buildings, you can add a height field to each feature class.  This is relatively simple, and will achieve decent 3D results.
  2. We can also work together to convert the model to support Z values.  This will be a bit time consuming, but may be of benefit to others.