Fw: [WaterWatch] Community Driven Water Conservation Initiatives In 2016 Drought

Jeevananda Reddy

Jun 14, 2016, 6:55:32 AM6/14/16
to Apenvionament, C. S. Ramalaxmi, Institute of Engineers

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 8:34 AM, "jeevananda reddy jeevanan...@yahoo.com [WaterWatch]" <Water...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

two corrections:

in (1) bood aid -- "food aid"

in (2)  2.5 and 5.0 Lha -- " 4.0 and 8.0 Lha"

sorry for the error

Dr. S. Jeevananda Reddy

On Friday, 10 June 2016 10:11 AM, "jeevananda reddy jeevanan...@yahoo.com [WaterWatch]" <Water...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

1. Opening statement of the article: In 2016, India has been witnessing one of the severest droughts after independence.  -- this statement is not based on facts. This is like IPCC global warming type sensationalization approach. The problem is, the government mis-using water resources without understanding the vulnerability of monsoon rains.  Even after IMD and others presented imminent threat of deficit, governments did not looked at planning.  In the case of Msharashtra, water is wasted for private power plants -- no drought for them. In the two Telugu states wasted water under the disguise of Pushkaralu and power production. This is also true with other states.

That is why we need a system to monitor the drought at national level instead making statements from the air. I did this in several countries.  In the case of Mazombique The President released my note on the drought condition and bood aid requirement in 1987-88 crop season.  Next day agriculture chief from one province [like our states] released a press statement stating that his provice is reeling under severe drought conditions.  The President asked for my response on this. I said this is the best province and needs no food aid. Then the officer was dismissed from the post and asked another person to take over. All this happened in less than an hour time.

2. Regarding Telangana: Regarding the observations on Mission Kakatiya [or for that matter Mission Bhagiratha] are only provide propaganda statements only. Nobody wants to look at the data published by the government on agriculture [year by year]. In Telangana the area under Tanks in 1955-56 was 4.44 Lha and this was reduced to 2.28 Lha in 1999-00.  The same for undivided AP were 10.69 & 6.51 Lha.  Can we expect the area under cultivation even after de-silting the tanks double the area under cultivation?  The Mission Kakatiya states that currently the area under cultivation is 2.5 Lha and after the completion of the mission it will rise to 5.0 Lha, which higher than that existed in 1955-56. Will be possible.

Also, out of 10 districts in Telangana, in two districts large number of tanks disappeared with real estate ventures. Even the remaining tanks are encroached large part.  The same is the case with other 8 districts in urban areas. So, with such scenario is it possible to achieve the goal by wasting Rs. 25, 000   crores of public money -- major part is taken on loan to be paid by the future governments.

De-silting of the tanks is not new in this part of the country.  This was carried out under different central funded schemes. Prior to that, villagers used to do that by themselves.

Regarding Mission Bhagiratha, the government is wasting Rs. 40,000 crores -- mostly barrowed money and interests have to be paid by the future governments. The cost would have been drastically cutdown if the government completed the 25 irrigation projects [near completion] undertaken by the previous government.  As they provide source of sustainable water to the drinking projects.

The scheme of Mission Bhagiratha is not new but in the past Puttaparthi Sai Baba initiated the drinking water scheme in Anantapur district and Madak district. Also NGOs initiated this projects in several villages.  For Nalgonda, such scheme was initiated to flouride effected villages.

In the case of Hyderabad City water supply, the government unable to plug the losses of 55% of the total water supplied due to leakages and filferages.  We suggested many a times on this.  Even in some parts the sewage is polluting the pipe water supply.  Even the new pipelines were broken and diverted water meant to supply to Hyderabad.  They also used poor quality of pipelines and rust in no time and as well break.  Even the two reservoirs that supply water through gravity are being converted in to real estate ventures.

Please study the historical changes & realities before writing praising the government. Otherwise it gives wrong signals to misuse of public funds also give false feedback to the members of this group and others. In fact I wrore to the Chief Secretary on this and as well on irrigation projects and asked him to present a white paper, so that people understand the reality.  But he hasn't even acknowledged my letter.

Dr. S. Jeevananda Reddy

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 4:10 PM, "Himanshu Thakkar ht.s...@gmail.com [WaterWatch]" <Water...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Dear All,

A compilation of some positive stories from this drought can be seen at: https://sandrp.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/community-driven-water-conservation-initiatives-in-2016-drought/

It is compiled by Bhim Singh Rawat of SANDRP, feedback is welcome.

Himanshu

--
Himanshu Thakkar

South Asia Network on Dams, Rivers & People,
c/o 86-D, AD block, Shalimar Bagh,
Delhi 110088, India

himansh...@iitbombay.org, ht.s...@gmail.com
http://sandrp.wordpress.com/