Fwd: Bhopal

Thiagarajan Arunachalam

Jun 14, 2016, 7:02:23 AM6/14/16
to karmay...@yahoogroups.com, ngo group, sss-g...@yahoogroups.com, apec g groups apec g groups, seva...@googlegroups.com
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Emma, Story of Stuff" <inb...@storyofstuff.org>
Date: Jun 11, 2016 1:59 PM
Subject: Bhopal
To: "Thiagarajan Arunachalam" <thiagarajan...@gmail.com>

Story of Stuff Project
Greed, carelessness, and a callous disregard for human life - these words sum up the causes of the 1984 Bhopal gas disaster.

Tell the White House to stop defending Dow Chemical from accountability for the human tragedy in Bhopal.

Dear Thiagarajan,

In 1984, 8,000+ residents of Bhopal, India died within hours of being exposed to a toxic gas that escaped from a nearby poorly maintained chemical factory. Hundreds of thousands who survived exposure remain permanently disabled and are dying severely premature deaths.

Dow Chemical, an American corporation, and its subsidiary the Union Carbide Corporation are legally responsible for the 1984 Bhopal gas disaster.

But Dow-Carbide has refused to show up to court and face criminal charges that have been pending in India for 25+ years. Dow-Carbide has gotten away with this because the US government keeps acting as its special protector, guarding it from all accusations and accountability.

The Story of Stuff Project is standing with our friends at the International Campaign for Justice in Bhopal (ICJB) to shine a spotlight on injustice and to call on the US government to deal more seriously with corporate criminals.

Tell the US Government to uphold international law and stop shielding Dow Chemical from accountability for environmental health crimes in Bhopal, India.

Right now the White House and the US Department of Justice are shielding Dow-Carbide from FOUR court notices sent by the Indian Judicial system, which per international treaty must be served to Dow. It’s time we told the US Department of Justice to do its job properly and serve the court notices to Dow.

We need less than 12,000 more signatures before the White House promises to respond to our request.

Sign and share the petition on the White House’s website to help us seek justice for victims of the disaster in Bhopal, India today.

Thank you for all you do!

Emma Cape
Campaigns Manager
The Story of Stuff Project

P.S. After you sign the petition, you will automatically receive an email from the White House asking you to confirm your signature. Your signature will only be counted after you confirm it. If you don't receive a confirmation email, make sure to check your spam folder.

You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.