collision failing

mattheussenT

Oct 19, 2009, 2:49:17 PM10/19/09
to APE General
Is there any way to stop so called colliding objects to pass through
each other. The objects should collide, and they do, but sometimes
they don't (i guess because of to few calculations?)

I have a game, with walls and floors and sometimes when my object has
reached a certain speed, it passes through a wall. Is there any way of
solving this. I tried a higher framerate (more frames, more
calculations?) but that didn't solve my problem.

Paul Palladino

Oct 19, 2009, 3:32:30 PM10/19/09
to ape-g...@googlegroups.com
Thomas,

This is a shortcoming with the collision detection implementation. I have never been able to completely prevent tunneling. This game written with APE http://www.candystand.com/play/line-golfer has done a really great job of tweaking the parameters so that tunneling does not occur. I do remember the developer of this game posting some code and a hack but can't remember where :(

Paul

mattheussenT

Oct 20, 2009, 9:46:47 AM10/20/09
to APE General
So i tested the line golfer game, and this game suffer from this
problem too. But indeed, parameters must be tweaked so it doesn't
occur all that often. Does it help to change the APEngine.init to a
lower value? Say 1/10 or so? Does frame rate changing help? Does
anyone know of any other parameters that may help?

Thomas

On 19 okt, 21:32, Paul Palladino <palladino.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> This is a shortcoming with the collision detection implementation. I have
> never been able to completely prevent tunneling. This game written with APEhttp://www.candystand.com/play/line-golferhas done a really great job of
> tweaking the parameters so that tunneling does not occur. I do remember the
> developer of this game posting some code and a hack but can't remember where
> :(
>
> Paul
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM, mattheussenT <

Paul Palladino

Oct 30, 2009, 10:16:57 AM10/30/09
to ape-g...@googlegroups.com
Thomas,

I tried tracking down the article/posting by the line golfer developer. But, failed :( . I seem to remember he hacked a bit of code and tweaked parameters with good results. Sorry I can't be more help. I would start by googling "tunnelling ape as3" .... you may dig up the article again.

Paul