[apbs-users] PQR file for Ca2+

Mendez Giraldez, Raul

Nov 12, 2014, 3:56:13 PM11/12/14
to apbs-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear all,

Does any one know how to generate PQR file for Ca2+ ion ? I have seen some PDB2PQR forums suggesting CHARMM radius for Ca2+, which is 1.367 angstroms, other people suggest AMBER radius 1.7131 angstroms, and I thought that it should be the Born Radius, which is 1.862.

Which one would you use ?

Thanks.
Raul

Raul Mendez Giraldez, PhD
Dokholyan Lab
Dept. Biophysics & Biochemistry
Genetic Medicine
University of North Carolina
120 Mason Farm Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
US

Baker, Nathan

Nov 15, 2014, 11:57:38 AM11/15/14
to Mendez Giraldez, Raul, apbs-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Raul --

Calcium solvation is not described very well by implicit solvent models so I would exercise caution for whatever model you use.  That being said, for the purposes of electrostatics and solvation calculations (not molecular mechanics), I would recommend using the Born radius.

Caveat emptor.

Thanks,

--
Nathan Baker
Laboratory Fellow and Technical Group Manager