Apache 2.4.66

37 views
Skip to first unread message

Massimo S.

unread,
Jun 3, 2026, 6:37:50 AMJun 3
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

is there any hope that this build will come to life?

thanks

massimo

Paul Smedley

unread,
Jun 3, 2026, 4:53:55 PMJun 3
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max,

On 3/6/26 20:07, Massimo S. wrote:
> is there any hope that this build will come to life?
>
There is always hope :) BUT when I reviewed the changelog, it didn't
appear worth the effort. If you can point to a specific RELEVANT bug or
security fix to OS/2 and your use case, it will increase the chances.

If the only reason is that it's a newer/higher version number....

Cheers,

Paul

Massimo S.

unread,
Jun 4, 2026, 3:50:45 AMJun 4
to apa...@googlegroups.com
I see on CSIRT* newsletter a number of bulletins that recommend to upgrade apache for some kind of security
flaw and i see in the changelog a number of security fixes
on https stuff.

Maybe they are of no interest on /2, i couldn't say it these flaws also afflict
the /2 environment.

massimo

*Italian cybersecurity agency

Massimo S.

unread,
Jul 25, 2026, 6:45:48 AMJul 25
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Il 03/06/2026 22:53, Paul Smedley ha scritto:
Hi Paul,

with the help on chatbots should not be easier to do porting to "/2"?

E.g. I'd need mod evasive (apache 2.4.61) for security reasons.

massimo

Paul Smedley

unread,
Jul 26, 2026, 6:06:16 AMJul 26
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max,
I was sure I've built mod_evasive previously, however I can see there is
no module for it. The biggest impediment is not AI or otherwise, it's me
having the motivation and time to do it. As things turn out, I'm
currently off work for a couple of weeks, so I *may* have some time to
look at it, but as I'm not currently at home, it will depend how/if I'm
able to boot up my ArcaOS machine and how good the connection speed is
over VPN.

Cheers,

Paul

Steven Levine

unread,
Jul 26, 2026, 12:03:08 PMJul 26
to apa...@googlegroups.com
In <1ebf087c-4bfe-4235...@smedley.id.au>, on 07/26/26
at 07:36 PM, Paul Smedley <pa...@smedley.id.au> said:

Hi Paul,

Hope you are enjoying your travel time.

>I was sure I've built mod_evasive previously, however I can see there is
>no module for it.

I'm pretty sure you did, but it may have been for 2.2. Lewis uses or used
to use mod_evasive back in 2020 or so, so it's possible he did the build.

Steven

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Steven Levine" <ste...@earthlink.net> Warp/DIY/BlueLion etc.
www.scoug.com www.arcanoae.com www.warpcave.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lewis Rosenthal

unread,
Jul 26, 2026, 4:30:08 PMJul 26
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Hi...

On July 26, 2026 11:50:58 AM EDT, Steven Levine <ste...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>In <1ebf087c-4bfe-4235...@smedley.id.au>, on 07/26/26
> at 07:36 PM, Paul Smedley <pa...@smedley.id.au> said:
>
>Hi Paul,
>
>Hope you are enjoying your travel time.
>
>>I was sure I've built mod_evasive previously, however I can see there is
>>no module for it.
>
>I'm pretty sure you did, but it may have been for 2.2. Lewis uses or used
>to use mod_evasive back in 2020 or so, so it's possible he did the build.
>

Indeed, Paul, you built it for Hawking (2.2). We haven't had a need for it on the 2.4 box so far.

Every time I try to build these modules, I am reminded of missing parts of my tool chain (probably just path issues, though).

--
Lewis

Massimo S.

unread,
Aug 26, 2026, 6:41:49 AMAug 26
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

after upgrading to the latest LIBCX i get a number of libcx assertion failure with Apache
that exit and do not restart anymore so the fault-daemon give setboot /b.
I've asked Copilot it say that probably apache must be recompiled with these new klibcs.

PID 06f0 TID 01: LIBCx Assertion failed at shared.c:214:shared_init:
arc == NO_ERROR (105)

Should be possible?

thanks

massimo

Paul Smedley

unread,
Aug 26, 2026, 6:45:36 AMAug 26
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Max,
In this case, AI is 99.9% wrong. Having said that, I've been thinking of
firing up my OS/2 box to build mod_evasive - if I'm going to do that, it
would make sense to update apr and the httpd code to the latest. I'll
try do this tomorrow or Friday my time. No promises, depends how I'm
feeling.

Cheers,

Paul

Massimo S.

unread,
Aug 26, 2026, 7:15:23 AMAug 26
to apa...@googlegroups.com
thanks a lot ;)

massimo

Steven Levine

unread,
Aug 26, 2026, 5:58:13 PMAug 26
to apa...@googlegroups.com
In <b4338627-fcbf-493c...@smedley.id.au>, on 08/26/26
at 08:15 PM, Paul Smedley <pa...@smedley.id.au> said:

Hi Paul,

>> PID 06f0 TID 01: LIBCx Assertion failed at shared.c:214:shared_init:
>> arc == NO_ERROR (105)

>In this case, AI is 99.9% wrong.

Closer to 100%. :-)

>Having said that, I've been thinking of
>firing up my OS/2 box to build mod_evasive

Hope this means you are feeling better. Lewis would appreciate a
mod_evasive build.

One possible new feature Lewis and I have discussed is the ability to
whitelist certain URIs. We had cases where mod_evasive would decide that
a normal svn update was a DOS attack.

Paul Smedley

unread,
Aug 26, 2026, 8:14:43 PMAug 26
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Hey Steven,

On 27/8/26 07:13, Steven Levine wrote:
> In <b4338627-fcbf-493c...@smedley.id.au>, on 08/26/26
> at 08:15 PM, Paul Smedley <pa...@smedley.id.au> said:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
>>> PID 06f0 TID 01: LIBCx Assertion failed at shared.c:214:shared_init:
>>> arc == NO_ERROR (105)
>> In this case, AI is 99.9% wrong.
> Closer to 100%. :-)
lol
>> Having said that, I've been thinking of
>> firing up my OS/2 box to build mod_evasive
> Hope this means you are feeling better. Lewis would appreciate a
> mod_evasive build.

For 2.4.x? I see Igor has built 2.4.68 -
https://forum.os2world.com/index.php?topic=4209.msg52014 If he's going
to supply builds going forwards, I'll likely bow out of building it, and
focus my efforts elsewhere. It would be interesting to see if Igor
included mod_evasive.

And yes, indeed, I'm feeling MUCH better - I should be home in a week or so.

Cheers,

Paul

Steven Levine

unread,
Aug 26, 2026, 9:49:34 PMAug 26
to apa...@googlegroups.com
In <50b39bb8-877d-4e7f...@smedley.id.au>, on 08/27/26
at 09:44 AM, Paul Smedley <pa...@smedley.id.au> said:

Hi Paul,

>For 2.4.x? I see Igor has built 2.4.68 -
>https://forum.os2world.com/index.php?topic=4209.msg52014

Yes, I noticed this and have stepped in to see if I can help him get the
build stabilized. I'm wondering if I should convince him to switch to
php8. php7 has so many known memory issues.

>If he's going
>to supply builds going forwards, I'll likely bow out of building it, and
>focus my efforts elsewhere.

Makes sense.

>It would be interesting to see if Igor
>included mod_evasive.

He may not know what it is. It's not a standard module although it is
available via the apachelounge.

Looking at the forks of the original repo via github, it appears that

https://github.com/jvdmr/mod_evasive

is the best maintained and it has new features we want, such as URI
whilelisting and I see it is announced/supported on the apachelounge.

>And yes, indeed, I'm feeling MUCH better - I should be home in a week or
>so.

That's good to hear.

Paul Smedley

unread,
Aug 27, 2026, 1:33:44 AMAug 27
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steven,

On 27/8/26 11:04, Steven Levine wrote:
> In <50b39bb8-877d-4e7f...@smedley.id.au>, on 08/27/26
> at 09:44 AM, Paul Smedley <pa...@smedley.id.au> said:
>
>
>> It would be interesting to see if Igor
>> included mod_evasive.
> He may not know what it is. It's not a standard module although it is
> available via the apachelounge.
Ah I'd forgotten that mod_evasive was a 3rd party module!
> Looking at the forks of the original repo via github, it appears that
>
> https://github.com/jvdmr/mod_evasive
>
> is the best maintained and it has new features we want, such as URI
> whilelisting and I see it is announced/supported on the apachelounge.
give https://smedley.id.au/tmp/mod_evasive_httpd-2.4-os2-20260827.zip a
try. This is not tested at all not even to see that it loads. This is
probably the first time my ArcaOS native box has been booted in almost
12 months - ie since my first mental health breakdown in mid-September
2025. It remains to be seen if this is a fluke or the start of renewed
interest :)
>> And yes, indeed, I'm feeling MUCH better - I should be home in a week or
>> so.
> That's good to hear.

I am *SO* looking forwards to sleeping in my own bed!!

Cheers,

Paul

Massimo S.

unread,
Aug 27, 2026, 3:02:34 AMAug 27
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Il 27/08/2026 03:34, Steven Levine ha scritto:
> In<50b39bb8-877d-4e7f...@smedley.id.au>, on 08/27/26
> at 09:44 AM, Paul Smedley<pa...@smedley.id.au> said:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
>> For 2.4.x? I see Igor has built 2.4.68 -
>> https://forum.os2world.com/index.php?topic=4209.msg52014
> Yes, I noticed this and have stepped in to see if I can help him get the
> build stabilized. I'm wondering if I should convince him to switch to
> php8. php7 has so many known memory issues.

Here this is a problem, maybe i could update to php 8.0.x.

But 8.1.x make a number of websites to "explode" and i'd have to ask money
to clients to upgrade their websites, since i've to pay my php developer.

Money that i know only few will accept to pay.

massimo

Massimo S.

unread,
Aug 27, 2026, 3:06:19 AMAug 27
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

it’s good to know you’re getting better.

massimo

Massimo S.

unread,
Sep 28, 2026, 6:40:44 AM (11 days ago) Sep 28
to apa...@googlegroups.com
Il 27/08/2026 07:33, Paul Smedley ha scritto:
> Hi Steven,
>
> On 27/8/26 11:04, Steven Levine wrote:
>> In <50b39bb8-877d-4e7f...@smedley.id.au>, on 08/27/26
>>     at 09:44 AM, Paul Smedley <pa...@smedley.id.au> said:
>>
>>
>>> It would be interesting to see if Igor
>>> included mod_evasive.
>> He may not know what it is.  It's not a standard module although it is
>> available via the apachelounge.
> Ah I'd forgotten that mod_evasive was a 3rd party module!
>> Looking at the forks of the original repo via github, it appears that
>>
>> https://github.com/jvdmr/mod_evasive
>>
>> is the best maintained and it has new features we want, such as URI
>> whilelisting and I see it is announced/supported on the apachelounge.
> give https://smedley.id.au/tmp/mod_evasive_httpd-2.4-os2-20260827.zip a try. This is not tested at all not
> even to see that it loads. This is probably the first time my ArcaOS native box has been booted in almost 12
> months - ie since my first mental health breakdown in mid-September 2025. It remains to be seen if this is a
> fluke or the start of renewed interest :)

Hi all,

LoadModule evasive_module modules/evasive.dll

The module load correctly without problems.

Server Version: Apache/2.4.61 (OS/2) OpenSSL/1.1.1s PHP/7.4.32
Server MPM: mpmt_os2
Server Built: Jul 7 2024 16:56:21

I've now to test the functions.
I will let you know.

massimo
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages