Further 2.4.53/8.1.11 testing with WordPress

Lewis G Rosenthal

Oct 27, 2022, 4:39:43 PM10/27/22
to Apache2 Mailing List
Finally back to this...

Automatic upgrade from WP 6.0.2 to 6.0.3 worked as expected. The update
completed, and I was taken to the about page to describe the new features.

Updating plugins is still not quite right, however:

1. When selecting a single plugin for upgrade, the status messages are
never displayed in the main window (downloading, extracting, applying,
plugin has been updated, click here to continue). The file is downloaded
and extracted correctly, however (or so it appears).
2. When selecting multiple plugins for upgrade, the same condition as above
is present, and only the first plugin in the list is updated.

This indicates to me that once the operation is fired to download and unzip,
the next instruction doesn't happen, i.e., update the page with the first
status message. I will investigate which instruction is failing, as I am not
seeing anything getting logged - anywhere. Perhaps this is a timeout setting
in php.ini; I can't tell, yet.

Interesting to note is that I get the same behavior from PHP 7.4.32 as
described above.

Cranking up the debug logging output from WordPress only reveals deprecation
notices. Whether these have any relevance WRT the above remains to be seen
(because as we know, deprecation notices are not errors).

Manual plugin install seems to work as expected. Perhaps this is something
broken in the latest WordPress 6.x code (or more likely, this test install).

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS, EA

Paul Smedley

Oct 27, 2022, 5:05:57 PM10/27/22
to Apache OS/2
Hey Lewis,

Will try and look at this today or over the weekend. From memory I tested installing plugins/themes, not necessarily updating them.

Cheers,

Paul

On 28/10/22 07:09, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
> Finally back to this...
>
> Automatic upgrade from WP 6.0.2 to 6.0.3 worked as expected. The update
> completed, and I was taken to the about page to describe the new features.
Good.

> Updating plugins is still not quite right, however:
>
> 1. When selecting a single plugin for upgrade, the status messages are
>    never displayed in the main window (downloading, extracting, applying,
>    plugin has been updated, click here to continue). The file is
> downloaded
>    and extracted correctly, however (or so it appears).
> 2. When selecting multiple plugins for upgrade, the same condition as above
>    is present, and only the first plugin in the list is updated.
>

> This indicates to me that once the operation is fired to download and
> unzip, the next instruction doesn't happen, i.e., update the page with
> the first status message. I will investigate which instruction is
> failing, as I am not seeing anything getting logged - anywhere. Perhaps
> this is a timeout setting in php.ini; I can't tell, yet.
I just fired up Wordpress with the updated httpd and php - I had one
single plugin available for update - the update completed successfully
to the best of my knowledge.

> Interesting to note is that I get the same behavior from PHP 7.4.32 as
> described above.
Assuming this is the latest 7.4.32; I backported the 8.1.11 mmap
workarounds.

> Cranking up the debug logging output from WordPress only reveals
> deprecation notices. Whether these have any relevance WRT the above
> remains to be seen (because as we know, deprecation notices are not
> errors).
>
> Manual plugin install seems to work as expected. Perhaps this is
> something broken in the latest WordPress 6.x code (or more likely, this
> test install).
Try updating httpd and php - there's no logic in why these updates fix
it (the updates were to the upstream code only), but stranger things
have happened!

Cheers,

Paul

Massimo S.

Nov 14, 2022, 10:42:48 AM11/14/22
to apa...@googlegroups.com

Il 27/10/2022 22:39, Lewis G Rosenthal ha scritto:
> Finally back to this...
>
> Automatic upgrade from WP 6.0.2 to 6.0.3 worked as expected. The update completed, and I was taken to the
> about page to describe the new features.

hi all,

yes, upgrade of WP it works also on 7.4.x

about plugins i still have issues, one of these issues was the lack of the php zip module, but i've to do more
tests

massimo