Adopt-a-Highway Cleanup on Saturday - help please!

Ken Nahigian

Jul 5, 2022, 6:22:56 PM7/5/22
to aofe...@googlegroups.com

Adopt-a-Highway Cleanup
This Saturday, July 9, 2022, 9am - 11am
Location:  Near W. Elkhorn Blvd & Hwy 99, see map at https://goo.gl/maps/zw3Rwct9yR52

Help Atheists and Other Freethinkers (AOF) clean the stretch of Highway 99 from Elkhorn Boulevard to Elverta Road. It is our stretch, which Sac-area freethinkers "adopted" in July 1995. Since then we have cared for it, nurtured it, lovingly rescued it from litter and debris, and received recognition for our work. One of our more successful civic efforts, it proves freethinkers can also serve the community.

So enjoy a morning commune with nature, and do a deed for the environment and local area wildlife. The refuse we collect would otherwise ultimately be swept by the rain into tributaries and into the ocean, degrading habitat, and leading to a slow death for many sea creatures. And Cal-Trans will pay us a stipend for our work.

As usual, the stalwart activity captain will provide all safety equipment, including comfortable, natty hard-hats and gloves, stylish safety vests, collection bags, and handy trash pickers. The cleanup takes a scant two hours. Please dress for the season. It may be a good idea to bring a backpack or fanny-pack to carry 3 or 4 trash bags.

To get there, travel north from Sacramento on I-5. Take the "Highway 99 - Yuba City, Marysville" exit. Exit at Elkhorn Boulevard less than a mile north. Turn left, cross the overpass. Park in the park-&-ride lot if possible, or somewhere near it.

Adopt-a-Highway Sign demonstrates miracle of Stigmata

Note, this is a great event for older children, but please leave smalls safe at home.
Repeat, CalTrans will now pay us a stipend for this cleanup!  See here.
Please review the CalTrans Highway Cleanup guidelines at https://dot.ca.gov/programs/maintenance/adopt-a-highway/covid19

Contact:  916-447-2169 (Don Knutson), or see Contact Page
In case of rain, excessive mud, rapture or locust plague, the Cleanup will be rescheduled. If unsure, call the Activity Captain (Don).